Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Home sick

Last night while having dinner with a friend, I started sneezing. INSTANTLY, I felt my head fog up, my eyes get watery and my face began to hurt (I know, it's killing you too.) What the heck?
I woke up this morning feeling HORRIBLE. My body ached and my nose was completely stuffed up. BUT, being Julie Hibbard, well, I followed my own prescription for life--get up, take a shower, and go to work!
Let me remind you that I don't have a desk job. I don't even have a chair. (Sometimes I go into the bathroom at work just so I can sit down for a couple of minutes!) But I thought I could do it. With all the intent of the little engine that could...I ran around checking rooms and getting things ready for the day...but, not even half way up the mountain, I surrendered. I left after three hours of desperately attempting to overcome the feeling that I was about to fall to the ground.
I KILLS me to say it--to admit it--but I am sick.
Today I have compassion and empathy for those of you who have been sick this last few months. I tend to forget what this feels like...I get sick so infrequently.
Or is it just that I so rarely admit it...?
I am home now, in my jammies, wrapped in a blanket watching Leave it to Beaver. I had a little butternut squash soup with a couple of crackers and am guzzling down the juice.
And I swear I have blown my nose 914 times.
BUT, no matter what, let me tell you one thing that still stands: I have NEVER called in sick to work. NEVER! In more than 30 years of working, through two pregnancies and colds and flus and sleet and snow...(well, you know what I mean...) NEVER.
Today was probably the closest I ever came to calling in. Which means I thought about it for about 10 seconds before getting up, showering and suiting up for the day.
No way. Not gonna happen. Call me Cal Ripkin. The streak remains.
Insisting that I leave, the guys at work sent me home with strict instructions: take two shots of Tequila and go to bed. I came home to a bottle of NyQuil, cut up a lime, put a little salt on my wrist and took two shots of that instead.
While choking it down I took a second to read the ingredients: Sure enough--Tequila and food coloring.
Yep, I'm sick. But I'm starting to feel much better already.
And, the streak remains.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow . . . YOU left work and went home?!! You must really have felt awful. Half of us here at home are sick too and I'm sure I'm next. Get well soon.

Lisa Marie said...

Yuck...being sick sucks. Hope you feel better soon, Julie!!!

Zuzana said...

Sorry to hear that you are sick :(((, but I guess we all need to be that once in awhile. Even if you say you rarely are, it is actually good for your immune system to get jolted with a flue occasionally. Believe me.;)
Not too worry *iron lady*, you will be up and around in no time at all.;)
Get well soon my friend,
xoxo
Zuzana

S. said...

Hey lady! Hope you are feeling better. Will be praying for a speedy recovery.

Oh..and thanks for the comment on my post yesterday....yes, the new friend is a "he" and a wonderful "he"...so we will see what happens with the "he"-- "he" lives in Dallas but we met through mutual friends and we both are from WV...

Regardless, I am taking the time we had together as a special gift from God....a reminder that HE hasn't forgotten me.

Just pray...
S.

Leah Mazur said...

Oh no Julie!! I am so sorry you are sick! I am the exact same way and have NEVER called in sick to work.

Last week I had a horrible cold and cough and I woke up Monday morning about to cough up a lung. I got up out of bed and started getting ready for work between coughing fits. Angelo looked at me like, "where are YOU going?! Are you kidding?!" And I thought, what?, am I going to lay here in bed all day miserable? No way!! Off I went, coughing the whole way to work. I left after a few hours as I think the entire resort was shaken by that cough.

Nevertheless, you have to rest and get better Julie! I know you'll be feeling better in no time! Lots of good healthy vibes your way!