Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sunshine on a Cloudy Day...

The forecast...mostly Sunny...
Partly cloudy...
Earlier in the week Gina and I had planned to meet and go visit our Nana tonight. We picked up flowers and cookies and walked in to her home. We were not prepared for what we found...Our Nana was 'not there'. She barely spoke, telling us that it hurt to talk. She could not hear one bit. We wrote down things for her and she just was not interested. This is the woman who just a couple of weeks ago was STOKED about the Angels having the best record in baseball. Something suddenly changed. Her doctor will be visiting tomorrow and most likely putting her in hospice. Ugh.
We tried to make her laugh, telling stories, making faces...to no avail. She was just not there. Gina and I walked out crying...and we couldn't stop. It's not like we didn't think this day would ever come...but it's so odd really! This is a woman we have known our whole lives! Our grandparents always lived closed by and were at EVERY event of our childhood, at our weddings, at the births of OUR kids...at our KIDS' graduations! Heck...I am 45 and I have my grandmother...I've never known life any other way.
Gina and I decided there was only one solution to the sadness we were feeling...
we needed to go see SUNNY!!!
When we drove up...Sunny ran out to our cars! She hugged and kissed us and made faces with us and tickled us and brought us out pudding to eat and made us remember how great life is.
And how very precious it is indeed.
The blessing of having family within a few miles!
The next few weeks are sure to be filled with tough decisions and much sadness.
And for some reason, Sunny is in town from Hawaii at this time...
Oh the circle of life.

5 comments:

Allison said...

I'm so glad it got better...
I'm sorry it was such a rough afternoon...

Eliane said...

Oh Julie! I am sad to read that. I love your Nana. Sunny's pictures made my heart smile big time.
Hang in there!

andrea said...

I'm sorry about your Nana.

Jen Panunzio said...

I am so sorry to hear the sad news. I will be thinking of you. And Sunny is adorable! Cute pictures!

SarahD said...

I felt that she was close the other day....close to the end...I wrote her a letter with big pictures, hopefully she'll 'get them'....
I miss Sunny so much and can see she is just fine. Thanks for loving her.