Monday, June 2, 2008

Just like heaven


Me and Robert Smith
The Cure is yet another one of the GREAT bands that I have loved, admired and followed for nearly 30 years. Last night was at least the 7th or 8th time I have seen them perform. The first time being around 1980...most recently in 2001 and 2004.
Seriously, it's been an incredible experience every single time!
We had 19th row orchestra seats...
but soon found ourselves in the 8th row. ...we spent the last part of the show in the 3rd row!
When the group first took the stage last night, I just stared at Robert Smith--almost with tears in my eyes. I met Robert in 1980 at Pier Records in Irvine. He was sitting just outside the store at a card table waiting for someone to come ask for his autograph (which I did of course.) I remember talking to him--he was VERY shy--and letting him know how talented I thought he was. I was 17 and Robert was 22. Wow...After that, I bought every album (yes LPs, then cassettes, then CDs!) and went to as many shows as possible...
My KIDS know all their songs...THEY grew up with The Cure too!
Last night, when Robert Smith stepped out on stage, I felt like I was seeing someone I went to high school with...someone I grew up with. It's 28 years later, and he is still singing his amazing songs to sold-out audiences--night after night. Just like a dream.
I am so proud of him.

2 comments:

Gina Vistaunet said...

So fun. Nice seats!!!

Allison said...

I'm so glad you had fun! I love The Cure!