Wednesday, January 23, 2008

You look good...for your age.

This comment used to really bother me. People (usually under 30) find out how old I am and sure enough they say, "You look good--for your age..."
What exactly does that mean? That since I am 44 I look pretty good, but if I was 34 I would look really crappy? What is my age supposed to look like?
Obviously, I know it is meant as a compliment, but lately I have tried to take it as an opportunity to educate these kind, younger folk. I gently let them know that there is really no need for the qualifier "for your age." "You look good" is completely appreciated on its own!
And then, of course, I DO thank them...
cause, no matter what...I am totally grateful for the compliment.

To me, "old" is always fifteen years older than I am.
-
Bernard M. Baruch

3 comments:

Eliane said...

How do you feel when someone says: You don't look old enough to have a 25 year old child?
That is my favorite!!!

Unknown said...

I just love when I am asked for my ID either at a bar or at the grocery store. That always makes my day.

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

I was holding one of the twins the other day in a store and someone asked me how old they were and so I asked Brooke and the lady responded, " Ohh they aren't yours." I said Nope..and she said " well you totally look like a mom, I just assumed."

What in the HELL is that supposed to mean?