Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Nothing to do, no where to be...a simple little kind of free

I enjoyed an early breakfast with a friend this morning and, as he got up to leave to go to work, he asked me what I was going to do for the rest of the day.
I said, "Not much!"
In my other life, I would have never dreamed of answering this way. I wouldn't have wanted anyone to think that I was lazy or unproductive. Now, well, everyone knows that am neither of those things and I am happy as hell to tell you that I don't have anything to do today. And feel damn good saying it.
I actually stayed at the restaurant after he left, had another cup of coffee and finished two more chapters of my book. As I headed home I thought about stopping at the market or at Target, but I had to admit that there was absolutely nothing that I needed.
I came back home to my tiny, clean little apartment and decided to get back in my bed and just lay there for a little bit. (Mostly because I can.) I think it's called relaxing, and though I haven't had much experience or practice with it, I am growing to really like the feeling.
Actually, I'm beginning to think this free time, this relaxing time just might be the payoff for living a very simple life. Time to sit down, time to read a book, time to have breakfast with a friend, time to truly enjoy living! It's kind of what everyone hopes for and works toward, right? No big house to clean, no yard work to do...not even a garage to organize. No debt to worry about ...and, of course, for me, no kids to take from place to place.
My days off work are just that now. There's no work to do.

It was six years and six months ago yesterday that I left my other life.
And I think I have finally arrived at exactly the place I always dreamed I would be.
Enjoying the here and now.
Loving the peaceful calm.
Delighting in the clean and organized and (majorly) down-sized living.
Drinking in the (unbelievable and constant) quiet of this sweet little apartment.

It is absolutely refreshing and yes, very relaxing.
After my nap, I actually did make it over to the gym. Then I enjoyed a salad with my book on a restaurant patio, did a little walk through Barnes and Noble, I spent some time with my journal and my dreams and still had lots of time to catch up on emails, finish blogging and put on an old movie. (No baseball on tonight...)

In between I spent a few glorious moments on my beautiful little patio, just sitting enjoying the view, the peace, and taking pleasure in the thought that, quite honestly, this is exactly where I want to be.

I'm enjoying every moment of this simple, easy life...
and I'm not afraid to let you know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will not feel guilty anymore when I read instead of doing the dishes or vacuuming or washing windows or cutting the grass or washing the car.
Thanks, I needed this post...

Sonja said...

Sigh ... we've always been at opposite ends of the life-stage-spectrum. I'm so busy I don't know where to start every day. Will be making time to see you soon though.

robin_brown_62 said...

Refreshing post and one that makes you say awww. The simple life is not filled with stress or need. I also have those days when I say to myself..."what to do today." I love to listen to the calm in head and my thoughts and just sit and reflect on the future, present and past! Life is soooo good.

Blog in your eye said...

I know everyone says this--but when are you writing a book? Simple living? Simply living? Your great!

138 said...

You are my new teacher in learning to relax. I will learn by your example. 138