Friday, May 13, 2011

Saving all my love for you...(well, not all of it)

Recently, a friend who I hadn't seen in years asked me why I was still single. Actually I think his words were, "HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY STILL BE SINGLE?!"
The answer, (after 'thank you') is, "Honestly, I have no idea."

I have definitely been blessed with a heart to love people. It brings me such joy that I've even been able to make a living doing just that. I have a passion and a desire to help make people happy, to bring them joy, to make their day...to make them smile.

One of the long-time desires of my heart is to be in love, and no, I don't believe that I have ever been. Not really. Sure, I've said, "I love you" to people and a few have said those words to me...but, to be IN love, doesn't it have to go both ways--and at the same time??
I think it does.
I do, indeed have the desire to love a man. And know him. And, I have a deep desire to be loved (and kissed) and known (and held) and desired right back. (I always say that I have ADD--affection deficit disorder.)

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4
I have had this verse memorized for years. It meant so much to me that I had it painted on my bathroom wall at my first apartment six years ago. But earlier this year, as I began 'year seven' alone, I truly asked God if He might take that one desire away from me. If He might fill me with other--more attainable--desires instead. Like the desire to write a book or to organize my photo albums or to work out every day!
No such luck.
That desire to be in love with a beautiful man--and to have him love me back, I'm afraid to admit, is stronger than ever. I am made to be a passionate, loving woman and have HOPE that there is a lucky, passionate (energy-filled) man out there for me somewhere...I am actually quite ready for him to show up. (Man, will we have fun.)
So here's the question...what to do with the love and passion and energy that I am containing in this season? Well, obviously, there are plenty who could use a little affection, kindness and love of the non-romantic kind. Many.
I can do that.
And I will (continue to) do that.
I have been put in a position of working with hundreds of people a day and have realized that they all need love in one way or another. I have friends and family members who love on me all the time...tt's actually quite a joy to give that love back.
One thing I know for sure, we all need love and affection.
And, no doubt, it is my desire to love and be loved.
OK, God, I guess I don't want you to take it away from me. I know, there's plenty to go around.
But please, if you wouldn't mind, will you let him know where I am?
Cause I'm saving the best stuff for him: the deepest love, constant affection, unending kindness and indescribable joy!
Oh yeah, and let him know too...I love him already.

1 comment: