Monday, March 7, 2011

Yes, I'd love your help

The other night, after his birthday party at my home, my son asked, "Do you need me to help you do anything before I leave?"
I know, sounds like a normal question with lots of easy answers. But you can not believe how hard it was for me to say yes. Actually, I truly don't believe I have ever said the words, "I need your help."
Cause I never need help. Really! I can--and will--do everything myself--even if it takes a very long time or nearly kills me. I never ever ASK for help.

But, my son was offering.
Honestly, it almost HURT to say yes. I never never never ask for help. Never. Not in any way. WAY too many years of having to do things on my own and, I suppose, not wanting to be seen as weak or needy.
I swallowed all the insane pride inside me and said, "I would love it if you could take the folding chairs down to the garage." He didn't even blink--and even continued our conversation--as he began to pick them up, stack them and put them away. When he came back up I asked, "I don't suppose you could help me take the leaf out of the table, could you?" Again, without even a thought, he began to pull the table apart, grabbing the leaf and asking me where it went. He put it away and came back over to help me get the table back together.
Note: I must say that taking the leaves in and out of the table is the ONE thing that is FAR easier with two people. I have, indeed, learned over the years how to do it by myself, but DAMN if it isn't 10 times faster with two!
He didn't say anything about me being weak or needy. He actually said, very kindly, "Do you need me to do anything else?" I almost cried.

Today, two friends came over after work to help me pack up the rest of my house. They have both been asking for WEEKS if they could come over and help me, and, well...I finally said yes.
Interestingly, neither one of them said anything about me being weak or needy or unable to do things on my own. I know! I know! Why would they? But THAT is what goes through my mind!
No, instead, we laughed. We sang. We talked. We drank wine! We laughed some more!
And we packed. In fact, in just about 2 hours, the three of us packed up just about every last thing left in the house.
And, before they left, each of them said, "Should I come back tomorrow and start moving stuff over to the new place?"
I almost cried.
Instead...I said, "yes."

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

We all need help Julie. Living alone I know exactly what you mean, there is so much I have to do alone and asking for help is at times impossible.
But I now know how good it feels to help someone out, thus I know the people that help me enjoy the act of giving.;)
Beautiful post dear friend,
xoxo

S. said...

I am so proud of you Julie. I completely understand where you are coming from....

Know that I think of you often...and love your posts.

Be Blessed and have a wonderful day!!!

S.