Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Look for the bare necessities...

The countdown begins.
I am down to my last couple of weeks as a homeowner.
Next month at this time, I will be living in a tiny apartment.
No mortgage, no property taxes, no association fees. When something breaks, I'll call the landlord. (I am REALLY looking forward to NOT paying for endless home repairs any more.)
In the last couple of months I have given away most of my clothes (keeping only what I wear), most of my furniture (keeping only the essentials) and almost all of the knick knack, collectible crap...I mean stuff of course.
I am going to be moving what's left of my books--two bookshelves full rather than six--and the bookshelves themselves. My kitchen items have been whittled down to three cabinets of items, which is still a bit much for one person, but I do have company occasionally. (Wine glasses have been kept, I assure you!) Besides that, I'm down to one small TV, one dresser, my bed and my kitchen table.
The bottom line is, I've realized what I need. NEED.
And it's not much.
A place to hang my hat (not 10 hats) and my purse (down to three)
A place to sit and watch a movie (ordered from Netflix, all DVDs have been given away)
A place to rest and dream and read and smile
I will be 100% debt free and hope to live that way for the rest of my days.
Simplicity is freeing and liberating and OH so alluring and attractive to me.
Just a couple more weeks in the big house.
Then it's just me in the little place with the simple bare necessities.
Feet up, with a book...and a glass of wine.

I can't wait.

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

Sounds like you have got a great plan there dear Julie - does this means you have sold your house? Congratulations.;)
xoxo

BUM said...

Sounds like a dream. I'm glad that you didn't wait 50 years to get rid of your crap ( I mean stuff) Congrats on your new begining..MOM