Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Soap Opera

My friend, Lu, gave me this beautiful, sweet smelling soap for Valentine's Day. The name "Better than a Boyfriend" is just perfect as the box goes on to promise that 'it will go where you want it to' and 'it's always good company.' The inside lid teases with 'reach in and GRAB it.' The bottom reads, 'use it up and then move on.'

Well, I've never really ever had a boyfriend, and well, you know me...
I fell in love.

I looked forward to lathering up in that amazing softness. I took that sweet smelling freshness to work with me and out into the world with me--with a big smile--every single day! It made me feel good! It brightened my day! I couldn't wait to get home and soak in the sweet scent again and again. It made me happy.

But, lately, I could feel it fading away.
And, sadly--it ended today. Actually, it was used up and had dried out long ago, but, again--you know me--I held on and tried to make it last. And as I tried desperately to (literally) hold on to it, to make it work, I could still just barely smell its fresh, invigorating scent. It still smelled good! Sure, it was not as great as it was six weeks ago...but I didn't want to let go.

It is gone.
And here I am relishing the pleasant smell of what used to be...(from the box)...
Thinking about it. Writing about it.
Damn, it really did smell good, didn't it...?
Although I knew from the beginning that it wasn't going to last...
it's sad to know that it's really over.

I reached in and grabbed it and it went where I wanted it to.
It was always good company and smelled so sweet.

I used it up...and it's time to move on.

1 comment:

Sonja said...

Your metaphorical posts are always very clever! Good writing!