Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Well read

Every night for the last few weeks or so, I have found myself reading in bed. This is mostly out of necessity at this point of course, as I have sold both my couches, my big chair and my upstairs restaurant booth. Basically, I have run out of places to sit and read...and thus, the bed has become my library.
...and I love it.
Last night I was literally hunkered down inside my bed--a blanket, comforter and a quilt neatly surrounded me. Three pillows were propped behind my back and one sat gently on my lap, where my book, The Great Gatsby for {at least} the third time, rested at perfect distance. I relished the free feeling of sinking deep into the fabulous feather bed while soaking up fine Fitzgerald fiction.
And I smiled.
I stopped reading for a moment and took a good look around.
My beautiful house was silent.
It is beautiful you know, and, albeit for a limited time, it is still mine...
...and I love it.

I realized--in that moment--that I was exactly where I always wanted to be...that I AM exactly where I want to be. In the quiet, in the calm, comfortable, in my bed, with a good book.

As I head into this upcoming, exciting yet uncertain season of life, it is interesting to think that I am choosing to only take a few things along with me on the journey...
Among them, my bed.
And my books.
I know the quiet, calm comfort will be coming with me too.

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

One can feel that you have found a a certain satisfaction in getting rid of possessions and keeping only what really matters.
Besides, you are rich as your mind and your memories posses treasures out of this world.;)
xoxo

TSHarrison said...

"I relished the free feeling of sinking deep into the fabulous feather bed while soaking up fine Fitzgerald fiction."
Now that's a fun sentence to read.