Sunday, October 5, 2008

October Madness

I was at lunch today in the Artists' Cafe (the Montage cafeteria) and had the MOST enjoyable conversation ever! Everyone at the table knew I had been at the game last night and was congratulating me on the Dodgers' sweep. The talk turned to everything from who the Dodgers would play in the NLCS and whether the Angels could pull it out today to Joe Maddon looking more like a Yoga teacher than a baseball manager, Kirk Gibson's classic home run and Dennis Eckersley's amazing moustache and horrible suits. We were in the middle of discussing the Cubs' curse vs. sloppy playing when someone at our table spoke up.
"Hey, I feel totally out of it...I don't follow baseball--can you please talk about something else?"
We all looked at her. Seriously, I thought...IS there anything else to talk about NINE HOURS after I left Dodgers Stadium?? I don't think I'll have anything else to talk about til November!
One of the (baseball LOVING) bellmen answered her. He said, "OK, here's the deal. We'll talk about something else if you can answer one question. How many Octobers are there?"
I nearly spit out my breakfast! Everyone at the table totally busted up! Classic!
Of course, the poor girl had no idea what he was talking about.
And we continued our beautiful conversation...

4 comments:

-The Week said...

I am going to give AWS credit for the quote. At first I thought it might be Baldy, but I know he just sits there alone in the corner like an arthropophobic because he just wants some "quiet time away from the wife and kid." I am glad you are walking on sunshine, Julie, just don't ever refer to Gaston as doing the same!

Eliane said...

What a sad girl! Not to know baseball is ok but, to want everyone to change the subject for her. What a princess!!!! Glad you guys kept on going. I love your passion for baseball!!!!

Sarah said...

I was totally sick last night watching the Angels game...I hope they can pull it off again tonight. I think the win last night will do wonders for their mental state and their bats. At least I hope so!! If only we could get a certain right fielder to perform well....

I just get frustrated with people who don't get baseball. I've learned over the years that it's either an aquired taste or you've had to grown up with it. Poor girl. She doesn't know what she's missing!

PETE Di LALLO said...

REGGIE IS MR. OCTOBER


AND YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE MISS!!!!!!!!!