Saturday, December 8, 2007

Love you forever

I received this book as a gift when my children were little and read it to them dozens of times over the years. I have given this book to at least 20 people as a gift...mostly people having a baby or sending off one to college.
Most recently, I gave a copy to my grandparents...I brought it to their room at the nursing home. I sat down between them and began to read it out loud.
And I bawled. Tears streamed down my face and I could barely finish reading it to them. I knew my Grandpa didn't have much time left and I wanted him to know that I really would love him forever.
But the truth is, I have cried every single time I have ever read this book.Whether reading it to Allison and Zachary or to my Nana and Grandpa--or even reading it my myself--I tear up, get choked up and at some points, I even sob out loud.
It is a tremendously touching little book which has never lost it's poignant message to me:
True, real, deep love goes both ways...forever.

5 comments:

Heather McTaggart said...

I cry every time I read it too! David can't read it either without tearing up! Holly gave him another book like this one for Christmas last year, it took him months to finish it through the tears!

Ange said...

I've never read this book...I'll have to check it out :)

Eliane said...

I have cried every times as well and have given as gift many times. I even bought a French copy for my sister Sylvie 15 years ago. Thanks for introducing me to this book years ago and reminding me about the book today. Now I want to send it to 2 couples expecting a boy.

Allison said...

There's an episode of FRIENDS where Joey reads it out loud and everyone is crying at the end...

The Maguires said...

I read it to my kids all the time and get choked up as well, my son now knows the little song and sings it with me on every page...tears.