Tuesday, February 7, 2012

35 SOLID years...

This summer I will have the distinct pleasure of celebrating THIRTY FIVE solid years of working.

Yep, I began my working days at Gilberts 5 10 25 in June of 1977...just a month or so after turning 14. I worked stocking the shelves and cleaning the fish tanks and using the 'price gun' to put little stickers on every single item in the store. I quickly worked my way up to cashier and, peaked when I became the 'lady who cuts material' working with the fabric and selling patterns--a serious dream come true. I recently found a paycheck stub from Gilbert's where I made $2.47/hour. I remember too, walking to McDonald's on my lunch break and ordering a hamburger, fries and a coke. For years, the total was $1.01. I always had that penny with me. Good times.
In June of 1980, I moved into food service, getting a job as a hostess at Elmer's Restaurant on El Toro Road, but found my real calling when I was hired in January of 1982 at Coco's in Mission Viejo. Even through two pregnancies (I waitressed until 2 weeks before my babies were born and went back just a few weeks after) I was the BEST, fastest and most competent waitress ever to work the Coco's counter. Man, I was good! :)
After completing 15 FULL years as the Coco's counter waitress (while going to school and taking care of a home and a family) I was hired at Saddleback Church in January of 1997. I had been a faithful volunteer for nearly 10 years at that point and have the pleasure of being able to say I was the very first paid Children's Ministry Staff person.
I continued to knock out classes at Cal State Fullerton and finally received my Bachelor's Degree in Communications in May 2000--one of the BEST days of my whole life! After seventeen years of going to school, keeping an immaculate house, raising great kids, making dinner and, of course, WORKING the entire time, I finally had achieved one of my OTHER greatest dreams--being a college graduate.
In January 2005, several things changed in my life, and it was time to find another job. I sent out three resumes, to three hotels...and Montage called me that same day. Next month I will celebrate my SEVENTH anniversary at the most beautiful hotel on Earth.

It's funny, I began writing this post as I was thinking of how exhausted I am and how, after 35 years, I wouldn't mind hanging up the apron for a bit and sitting in front of the TV with some bon bons for a while!
But, I have to admit, I'm a worker. I like to be productive. I like to be useful. I like to have something to show for my time. I LOVE to be appreciated for what I contribute.
I also like being independent, owning my home and my car outright, being financial secure and being able to completely take care of myself. Being a hard worker is really the only way to accomplish that.
Though I haven't ever really had a choice in the matter, I really do love to work.

I have to say though, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I would DEFINITELY take a few years off to rest, catch up with friends, sit down, read a lot of books, watch a lot of TV shows and movies, see the rest of Italy, the rest of France and the rest of the good ol' US of A! Get to every baseball stadium in the country!
And lay in my bed past 4am each day...
and just relax...

In the meantime, I'll be heading to bed. The clock is, once again, set for 4am tomorrow as I have a 5:30 am start time in the morning. That's ok. I do believe that hard work makes me appreciate all I have even more. I think putting in the hours (and the miles!) at work, and saving up the money to go on trips or go to dinner with friends or to buy things for my home makes me appreciate all those things much more. I really am so grateful for all I have.

And, of course, thinking about all those things I'd still love to have and do--along with electric bills and property taxes and car registrations--well, those are the things that get me out of bed at 4am each day...even after 35 years.

I gotta admit, it just might be time to buy a lottery ticket.

1 comment:

md said...

I think I will buy a lottery ticket tomorrow. I like the idea of seeing the USA, France and Italy. Laying in front of the television with no agenda sounds amazing. I also would like to share it with someone special. 138