Thursday, October 6, 2011

thirty something

My 30 year reunion officially kicks off tonight at dinner with a few very special 'Mater Dei Class of 1981' friends. It will continue with the Homecoming football game tomorrow night AND culminate Saturday night, the actual night of the reunion, at our Alma Mater, Mater Dei.
I couldn't be more excited.
Can I believe it's been 30 years? Well, yes, it actually seems like a different lifetime ago. Time never seems to go by quickly for me, and yet, thoughts and memories flood back as if it were yesterday. It is OH so much fun for me to be with people who where 'there' for those memories. Or have a slightly different recollection than I do!
There is nothing quite like a class reunion, don't you think?
I love that all of us are the same age. That we all grew up at the same time, in the same area--and for those of us who went to Catholic school--all grew up believing the same things.
And now, though we are all the same age, (some looking a tad older than others, I will admit) the life stage differences are immense. Most have kids at least in their late teens or early 20s, but there are MANY who will be in attendance with preschoolers, toddlers and, apparently, brand new babies. (I will hold ALL comments here.)
The coolest part of a reunion for me is that we all get to feel 18 again! We get to go back and be with people who knew us long before we identified ourselves by our occupations, the number of children we have or our marital statuses. We get to be with people who know who "Mr. Ickes" and "Sister Beatrice" are! We can talk of "Little Red School House" and ducks in the grotto and getting detentions from Mrs. Harris. There will be many conversations that begin with, "Do you remember..." And I will remember, trust me.
And, there will be photos, you can be sure of that. (I am wearing a Size 4 dress to the occasion, believe me--THERE WILL BE PHOTOS!) They will be many and will grace this blog and Facebook, of that you can be sure.
They will be the stories of years to come.
I can not wait!

1 comment:

TSHarrison said...

Wow! 30 year reunion? I don't know what I was doing 30 years ago, but I can say I was doing something.
I really don't know what kinda comment I can put here without saying something stupid...so...I'm just going to say:
Let's go Rangers!