Wednesday, June 30, 2010

One delicious bite

There was a cinnamon roll in the cafeteria yesterday. I swear, it had my name on it.
You must know that I have not eaten a cinnamon roll in at least 10 years. Probably 15.
Can't do it! Too much fat, too many calories, and that whole low carb thing.
But this cinnamon roll was just too hard to resist. It was beautiful! It promised me a treat I never let myself have...the flavor I always dream of.
So I grabbed it. I heated it up a little...and delighted in the warm, fresh aroma.
I carved out the center of it...and put it in my mouth.
It was magnificent...I let it sit on my tongue and savored each moment...as I let it melt in my mouth. I delighted in the taste and I nearly wept from the magnificent flavors mingling on my pallet.
But as quickly as I grabbed it, I threw the rest away...I knew it was going to be hard...but I had to let it go. That little taste made me happy and joy-filled and satisfied. I couldn't imagine that any other bite would taste better than that one perfect little taste.
Let me tell you, it was perhaps the most delicious bite of food I have ever had.

I fell in love this past February. I swear, I thought he was the one.
You must know that I have never really been in love. Not in the last 20 years. Maybe 30.
Couldn't do it. Two kids, two dogs...and that whole 'til death do I part' stuff.
But this man was way too hard to resist. He was beautiful! He promised me things I never thought I'd have...the future I had dreamed of.
So I grabbed on! I warmed up to him and delighted in the freshness of his laughter and life and love.
I carved out the center of my heart, and let him in...
It was magnificent...I let him fill my heart, my mind, my soul...I let the flavor and aroma of his love envelop me and often wept from the incredible feelings that had absolutely captivated my whole being...
But as quickly as love came into my life...it was taken away. It's been hard...so very hard. But I have had to let go.
That little taste of love made me happy and joy-filled and...hungry for more.
I can't imagine that anything will ever taste as good.
Just let me tell you that it was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the most perfect and most delicious bite of love I have ever had.
So far.

2 comments:

BUM said...

You need to write a book, you have such a way with words. This made me cry...what mixed emotions I got from your sweet words/

Leah Mazur said...

Mark my words, you will find that nugget of love again. And it won't taste like cinnamon or vanilla or even the most decadent ooey gooey choclately delight. It will be SO much better, SO much sweeter... It's going to knock your socks off... And there is no way, (NO WAY!) either one of you will be able to throw it away.