Friday, May 21, 2010

Alone again, so naturally...

Until about five years ago, I had never lived alone. When I was 18, I moved from my family's home--with four younger sisters--into my (now former) husband's home--with two room mates and two dogs. Oh, and we had a baby on the way! My entire life I relished time alone, but moments of solitude and silence were few and far between. Again--up until five years ago.
Now, my life is full of silence and lots of time to myself. Though it's been a kind of rough couple of weeks for me, I gotta tell ya, being alone ain't half bad...
So as I sit here watching the Dodgers win their 10th out of 11, let me share with you a few of the things I have come to appreciate over the last several years.

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT BEING SINGLE & LIVING ALONE
1. I listen to music in my house day and night. I sing at the top of my lungs (often the wrong lyrics) and throw in some cool dance moves. No one is there to complain...or make fun of me.
2. I come home from the gym and strip in the garage. I come up to the house naked, sometimes stopping at the fridge and taking gulps of juice straight from the carton.
3. I eat food directly from the containers. Less dishes to wash.
4. I have yet to wash my new car. (I love that.)
5. I eat in my car. And drink in my car. And leave stuff in my car.
(I really love that.)
6. My house is kinda messy. (Unless you're coming over.)
7. I never make my bed. (Unless you're coming over.)
8. I watch baseball or ESPN 24/7. Reruns of the 1987 All Star game are better than anything on TV.
9. I buy whatever I want, whenever I want, where ever I want. (And I throw away the receipts.)
10. I do laundry twice a month. Maybe. And I live out of the basket for weeks.
11. I eat a yogurt for dinner. Or a couple of scrambled eggs. Usually with a beer.
12. I take a nap every day.
13. I take a bath every day. (Usually with a beer.)
14. I go to the gym, to yoga or for a walk nearly every day.
15. I read two or three books a week.
16. I sit on the couch with my laptop for hours every night. And I sleep with my BlackBerry.
17. I go out with friends several times a week. (Sometimes, friends visit me...)
18. I see my family a few times each month. (Because I want to.)
19. I sleep in the middle of the bed and wrap myself up in all the covers.
20. Sometimes, I get up, read the paper and then go back to bed. Often actually.
21. I'm in my jammies by 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
22. I'm the only one who bitches when there's no milk for the coffee.
23. I am going to San Francisco next month mainly to see the Dodgers play the Giants. And because I can.
24. No one keeps track of where I am or when I'm coming home. (Spur of the moment is a whole new world.)
25. It's a very simple, easy, quiet, uncomplicated, delightful and gratifying way to live.

Please know too, that I am not advocating that you become single.
I am just reminding myself of how fulfilling it is to love and appreciate the life I have, rather than to wish and long for a life that I don't have.
Let me tell you, there's a whole lot of good in this life.

So, until I find a man who just wants to sit on the couch and listen to music and watch baseball and drink beer...
I'll be living alone and loving it.

2 comments:

BUM said...

I think that you've said it all. Enjoy every day and the peace and quiet. And remind me often of the things we're all looking for in the future .

Zuzana said...

Beautiful...
xo