Saturday, June 28, 2008

When you PRAY...move your feet.

I have been called the 'queen of looking on the bright side.' I am the person who can find a silver lining in even the most hopeless of situations. I have used this blog to encourage people to find the good in every situation and to keep looking forward with a smile on your face!
But today I am feeling as though I have misunderstood the vast and vitally important difference between looking on the bright side and being utterly BLINDED by unrealistic optimism.
At the very strong--yet kind--urging of a friend, I watched "An Inconvenient Truth", former Vice President Al Gore's passionate campaign for our environment.
Tears ran down my face as I sat--captivated!--throughout this brilliant and incredibly life-changing movie. (I know, it doesn't take much to make me cry these days, but THIS is mind-boggling stuff!) Gore calmly and clearly lays out the facts of global warming--without getting political--and the undeniable repercussions and consequences of US not responding or reacting to the facts. Yes, facts! Why have we pretended this is not happening? It is indeed the truth, however inconvenient to our thoughts and comfort level.
Global warming is NOT a theory. And it's not something that's been 'discovered' over the last few years. This was devastatingly eye-opening for me--I admit, I have been living in denial. Half way through the movie, I was headed toward despair, tears streaming down my face as I thought about the numerous additional hurricanes, floods, droughts and tornadoes that have occurred in the two years since this movie was made! This is all documented stuff folks!
But (bright side/silver lining/hopefulness here!)-- SOME WHERE between the denial and despair is the fact that we now know what we need to know about this and it's not too late to make a change!
And the change starts with me.
The last 20 minutes or so of the movie talks about ways to make a difference...what we need to do--OK, what I need to do to make a difference in the world! First off--pull my head out of the sand! And then, encourage others to do the same. Before the movie ended, I was already on the Climate Crisis website asking for ways that Julie Hibbard can make a difference.
One of the suggestions--BLOG ABOUT IT! So, since (for some unknown reason) I have nearly 1000 readers a week on my blog--here goes:
Please watch this movie. It's not a hoax or a theory and it is actually incredibly motivating and encouraging!
Then visit the Climate Crisis website...and then,
change the way you live!
I am determined to find a bright side and there can be a silver lining. So here's the deal: WE can do it together. We can! Please join me in the effort. Do your part. Pray about it...and move your feet! If we each make small little changes--'boldly, quickly and wisely'--WE will make HUGE differences in OUR world.
Thank you!!
WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED
'I'M HAPPY AND LIFE IS WONDERFUL'
BLOGGING OF JULIE HIBBARD

2 comments:

Gina Vistaunet said...

I'm going to rent that tonight. I am in a carpool. Does that help?

SarahD said...

I cried during it too....
I think The President of The United States should feel the same way!