Monday, June 23, 2008

Soundtrack of my life...

I got off a little early today and came home and started cleaning. I confess that I have not really 'cleaned' since before Zac's party over a month ago. And I've been busy...ok, lazy. Suffice it to say there were five pair of shoes in the living room and the laundry basket has been on the kitchen table since Friday. I've been 'dressing' out of it.
(The good and bad of living alone in one perfect picture.)Of course I have to have music blaring while I work around the house, and I decided to put the iPod on "shuffle" and just let it play. I laughed as I cleaned and realized what an eclectic (read: absolutely random) selection of songs I have on there. This is kinda how it played: The Cars, Black Eyed Peas, Dire Straits, Nora Jones, Erasure, Talking Heads, Elton John, Maroon 5, The Turtles, Ray Charles, KC & The Sunshine Band, The Beatles, Counting Crows, Sinead O'Connor, Sting, Men at Work, John Mellencamp, John Mayer, John Denver, and, oh yeah, Johnny Mathis. (Chances Are....)
My random cleaning went perfectly with the beat. I usually start in my kitchen and work my way back to my bedroom, and forget what I'm doing sometimes in between, stopping to water the plants, check my email and read and smile through a stack of birthday cards that need to find a place to live. Then I join David Bowie in the kitchen and start again.
My THOUGHTS are the only thing MORE random than the music and attempted cleaning: A month from today I will be in Kenya. I need a suitcase and should find my passport. It's so damn hot in this house, I am glad I live alone and won't offend anyone in a tank top and shorts. When's the last time I saw my Nana? I'm so hungry. This plant is dead, but I keep watering it. OH! I love this song. I should get rid of this picture that reminds me of him. Do I have any stamps? Did I miss anyone's birthday? Oh! I love Dave Matthews. Crap, the first is coming again. Is this Friday payday? I think I'll take a bath. When's the last time I changed my sheets? Damn, it's hot in here...and I'm freaking starving...
I turned my cell phone OFF so I would not be tempted to take calls and neglect my work. I had five missed calls when I went back to the phone. Two unidentified numbers (Red Cross wanting blood, no doubt), my sister and two friends...I now have plans through the rest of the week.
I had to stop to take apart my vacuum and cut off MATS of blond long hair that had actually made the roller stop working! Oh the thoughts again! Am I really losing that much hair? Should I change the bag while I'm at it? Dear God, am I really losing that much hair?!
Took out two large bags of trash, took down the EMPTY laundry basket and set up the coffee pot for tomorrow morning. I put a Lean Cuisine Pizza in the Microwave and poured a GIANT diet coke. Ahh...
It's cool in here now. The pizza is good and, I'm sorry mom, there's still nothing that tastes better than an ice cold diet coke...
except maybe enjoying it with a clean house, a made bed (and fresh sheets) a cleared mind...
mmm....and a little Billy Joel...

7 comments:

Allison said...

Funny...I hate to turn my iPod on shuffle...there are so many songs I hate on there...I don't want to have to keep coming back to hit next.

Eliane said...

Your active mind was certainly going 100 miles per hours. Glad you got lots of stuff done.
PS: I'm glad I didn't call.

PETE Di LALLO said...

A super fun read!
Should be in the newspaper...

Gina Vistaunet said...

Such a good blog!! You sound exactly like me.

Kelly said...

You need to stop wasting your time on this blog and start getting paid for your thoughts. You have such a gift and I'm so lucky that I've been able to hear your random thoughts for free for over 30 years!
XO

Sarah said...

You've described the day that I want to have...I keep thinking that Rob needs to take the kids away for an entire day so I can clean from top to bottom. You've inspired me! I'll have to suggest that soon.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!