Friday, June 6, 2008

Don't worry...

I know I often post about my sleepless nights thinking of all the crazy things going on in the world. But today I am intent on sending myself--and YOU--in a different direction.
I stopped to get gas on the way home today and it was $56. I truly could not believe it. (I know, many of you are paying twice this--I am sorry.) Before I got home I ran into Ralph's to get creamer...the one thing I forgot at the market earlier in the week. It was $4.54! I have paid $2.50 or so for this same carton FOREVER! It's only a HALF a gallon too. Creamer is now TWICE THE PRICE of gasoline. Holy Cow. (Literally.)
I got home and got my "Daily Dow Jones report" email. Dear Lord. Mr. Jones (and me) are down 400 points today. The value of my home? Yeah, down OVER $100,000 from what I paid for it. Did I mention that I received a letter from the IRS claiming I owe from 2006? Oh yeah!
And I know we are ALL in the same boat!.
OK. So what are we gonna do? Cry? Bitch? Moan? Whine? Complain? Roll over and die?
Doesn't do one bit of good. Not one bit.
I went through TRUE hell three years ago.
And I figured out the trick: You gotta keep on going.
You could lay down and die. But, let's face it, you probably won't die. I tried that. Eventually you have to get back up, scrub the mascara stains out of the carpet...and get back in the game.
Complaining and crying about it does NOTHING! And there is nowhere to go to resign from life! Whatever you have to do to keep on going--do it! Smile, cut coupons, be positive, find the good, carpool, be grateful, eat at home, laugh, pray and never give up!
Never, Never, Never give up. Never!
These are INDEED crappy times economically. No doubt. The crappiest I can remember.
But life is still going on. It is!
And there is still a whole lot of HAPPY to be had.
None of this crap is gonna take away my joy! Don't let it take your's away either.
Sure I have found small ways to not spend so much money (I will not go as far as to say "save" money.) I am learning to really love peanut butter, pasta and poultry. Cheap and delicious. (Oh, and I just finished off that can of yams I had in the pantry since Thanksgiving.) I turn off all the lights, open all the windows and watch the movies I already own. I am learning that it's cheaper to pay $1 more for my mascara at Ralph's than to make a trip to Target to buy it. (I end up spending $80 to save that buck.)
But more than all that trite little stuff...let me assure you that
THIS TOO SHALL PASS.
It will. Take a deep breath and relax. And smile. And fill up your tank. What else can you do?
And, please...keep enjoying life.
All my financially-minded (read:WAY smarter than me) friends have given me the same advice lately on how to get THROUGH these tough times: Be still. Be still. Be still.
Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Yeah, God says the same thing.
You've heard these: Hang in there. When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on! Don't worry...be happy! Keep on keeping on!
My favorite: When life gives you lemons...yeah...make lemonade!
And put a little tequila in mine, ok?
Cause I plan to enjoy this next season no matter what.
And I want you to be there with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure when or how I stumbled upon your blog, but I just have to tell you...I love how positive and upbeat you always are! It keeps me coming back everyday. And that happy face just made me smile! Thanks!!

TSHarrison said...

Thanks...but I want to clarify that there ain't no mascara in my carpet. At least none that I left there...
I did step on a toothpick the other day and I'm sure that was my fault.

Eliane said...

You are great!
The only way out is through it...grumbling is certainly not helping.
Stay positive & stay curious!!!