Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Perspective

I had a weird conversation with a guy at work today. We were talking about marriage and he was completely amazed when I told him that, though I am now single, I had been married for 24 years. He said, "Why would you get a divorce after all those years...why not just stick it out?"
First off I said, "Let me guess...you have never been married." Then I went on to tell him that I had not ever really been happily married and I was really hoping for a second chance.
He said, "But your life is half over!"
Wow...spoken like a true 23 year old.
Perspective.

When my kids were about 2 and 4, I decided to go back to college. I knew that between working and taking care of a house and family I would only really be able to take 2 classes at a time. I remember excitedly telling people that I was going back to finish my degree and having MANY of them say, "Two classes a semester? It's gonna take you 20 years to finish. You'll be nearly 40 by then!"
My response would ALWAYS be, "How old will I be in 20 years if I DON'T go back to school?"
Perspective.
I graduated a week after my 37th birthday. Still one of the best things I've ever done.

Yeah, I know my life is half over. Most of it was very well spent I might add--honestly, no regrets.
But half over means half is still yet to come...
And I truly believe the BEST half still lies ahead of me.
Really...what's my option?
Perspective.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Some people just don't think before they talk! I don't know how you didn't slap the guy! You seem like a really cool person, I'm enjoying your blog.

Eliane said...

Wow! immaturite was at it's best there. I say, your life is just beginning.
I like your positive perspective.

Chris T (alanna's mom) said...

Do what I did.....marry a younger guy and adopt a baby! Talk about starting over! One married, one in college and one in preschool!!!!
OMG! Am I nuts???????
You really are as old as you feel...I often wonder...do "old people" really know they ARE old? Humm?

PETE Di LALLO said...

Like Amy wrote, I would have slugged the guy...

this person has an opinion but he's wrong!
he has no perception, no point of view, a bad attitude, certainly no vision, and probably raised in an
orphanage by a bunch of old Catholic nuns...
what's his position at Montage? a parking lot attendant, dish washer or a janitor?

Have you ever heard him say to himself:"Do you want fries with that?"

Sarah said...

After my last post, I needed this. Thanks!

Allison said...

This is excellent...seriously.
You should tell the 23 year-old to shut his friggin face!