Monday, October 15, 2007

Life's like an hourglass glued to the table


After attending my Grandmother's 94th birthday last night, I came home and Googled
"Things that add years to your life."
Here's the top 20


  1. Don't smoke.
  2. Take a daily multivitamin.
  3. Exercise and be active each day.
  4. Eat wisely and include tomato sauce in your diet frequently.
  5. Laugh a lot.
  6. Drink red wine.
  7. Have good friends.
  8. Eat nuts!
  9. Be nice and have a positive, flexible attitude.
  10. Trim excess weight.
  11. Love your job.
  12. Avoid accidents and violence (duh!)
  13. Take time to relax.
  14. Spend time with children.
  15. Don't be in a hurry.
  16. Have a purpose.
  17. Eat dark chocolate (delicious with red wine!)
  18. Eliminate toxic foods, toxic emotions and toxic relationships.
  19. Change how you feel about aging.
  20. Keep learning and stay curious about the future! (Eliane, I SWEAR it said this!)
The best news: Aging is NOT an inevitable decline in function and ability! I think I am healthier today and have more energy and strength--and I even weigh less today--than I did 20 years ago. Hmmm, I am also very positive and never in a hurry....I love red wine and dark chocolate and have great friends and laugh a lot. And I am certainly curious about the future.
The best is yet to come!

6 comments:

Gina Vistaunet said...

I do 7 out of the 20 and 3 of them have to do with eating, 1 with drinking. How much longer do you add if you do all 20? Grandpa ate a lot of nuts, that's why he lived so long.

Emo Cass said...

Dark chocolate is quite amazing. No wonder it add years to your life!! haa.

Insured Asset Solutions said...

My replies to your research:
1. Don't smoke: I can't, I'm on church staff

2. Take a daily multivitamin: I need to go to Trader Joe's

3. Exercise and be active each day: I'm going to the gym 3-4 days a week

4. Eat wisely and include tomato sauce in your diet frequently: Do regular tomatoes count, because I eat a lot of those

5. Laugh a lot: My new friend makes me do a lot of that

6. Drink red wine: Again, on church staff

7. Have good friends: I have a few of those

8. Eat nuts!: Can they be any kind?

9. Be nice and have a positive, flexible attitude: OH MAN, I have a lot of work ahead of me then

10. Trim excess weight: Check

11. Love your job: Need to work on that one too

12. Avoid accidents and violence (duh!): I like watching them both

13. Take time to relax: I get pleanty of nap time

14. Spend time with children: Working on that one

15. Don't be in a hurry:It's taken me 28 years to figure that one out

16. Have a purpose: Still trying to figure that one out

17. Eat dark chocolate (delicious with red wine!): Can they be filled with wine, oh wait...I work at the church and would know nothing about that

18. Eliminate toxic foods, toxic emotions and toxic relationships: I actually got a lot out of that series

19. Change how you feel about aging. I'm already accepting that fact that I'm getting old, have a reseeding hairline, going blind, have been hard of hearing for quite sometime now, and most recently have figured out that my mind is on its' last leg

20. Keep learning and stay curious about the future! (Eliane, I SWEAR it said this!):Curious, ehhh pooooop!

Ange said...

I'm really excited that you're an Anna Nalick fan!!!

Here are the things I don't do:
#2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, & 18. Hmmm....

PETE Di LALLO said...

I didn't re-read your list but my Dad lived to 92 eating garlic in everything,tomatoes, olive oil in everything from cooking to salads and pasta almost every day...he loved nuts...he loved everyone...

Eliane said...

Juju,
I believe it! I love that list so much. Promise to stay curious with me and me must stay away from toxic people.
I love you!!!