Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Can you fear me now?

So, I'm driving to work today, and my cell phone rings. Now, first let me tell you that there are TWO Police Stations and Courthouse between my home and my work, so I'm not taking any chances with the new cell phone law. I've yet to ever get a ticket and the first one is not gonna be for talking to my mother.
So, yeah...the phone rings...and I remember it's July 1st. So, keeping one hand on the wheel, I start to fish in the car door to find the 'hands-free' cord that I bought for just such a post-July 1st occurrence. I finally retrieve the cord and attempt to untangle it with one hand (and my teeth) while trying to watch the Mercedes in front of me and the woman on the bike next to me. Keeping one eye on the speedometer and the other on the rear-view mirror, I switch hands on the wheel and, at the same time, hold the phone at arm's length hoping to catch a glimpse of who's calling...cause it's looking as though I'm not gonna get my 'hands free' to answer the phone in the next 10 seconds!!
Yeah....seriously!
Mark my words...this new law is gonna cause a lot of accidents.

5 comments:

Ryanne said...

Seriously. Today I had called Jonathan three times, and had to look down every time to see how to turn on the speaker phone. It was the most distracted I had ever been talking on my cell phone while driving.

Chris T (alanna's mom) said...

Hey no one said we couldn't text while driving right? Eating, putting on make-up, shaving, flossing and reading the newspaper are still ok, right?
Makes a lot of sense huh? ''~

Eliane said...

Here's what I do.
I sit in my car... put the ear piece in place and leave the phone between the 2 seats. (first thing first)
Only then, I start the engin. I am all set to go and call me anytime while I am driving. I have been doing that for at least 3 years now. It can be done!!

Insured Asset Solutions said...

I'll take a ticket before I buy a bluetooth thing for my ear! I have a hate relationship for those things since having worked at Trader Joe's!

PETE Di LALLO said...

Read my latest blog...
I wouldn't be seen with one of those hands-free wires or those dorky things sticking out of my ear, so I bought the speaker phone that clips on to the sun visor...
seemed to work well yesterday...