Wednesday, April 4, 2007

For love of the game

I have been captivated with baseball my whole life. When my girlfriends were in love with Steve Garvey--I wanted to BE Steve Garvey. And because my Dad bleeds Dodger Blue, I experienced countless games growing up, absorbing every name and legend and anecdote that poured from Vin Scully's in-depth play by play. I went on dates to baseball games as a teenager and can honestly tell you that I still rarely miss a Dodger game. (it's on right now.) I was "Team Mom" to Zac's Little League teams each year and was always overjoyed as I watched the kids live and learn the game...as well as learn to LOVE the game.
Though baseball is called "America's Pastime", I’ve realized it's very hard to convert adults to baseball lovers. Without the history, nostalgia and especially if they never played or watched as a child, it's it difficult for them to appreciate the unparalleled excitement and intricate beauty of the game.
So here's the deal: I am always set to go to any game, any teams, anytime. I am thrilled to impart my knowledge of the rules and the calls to anyone who truly desires an understanding of why baseball stadiums seat 55,000 and fill the majority of those seats through 160 plus games every season. Baseball is not boring and/or hard to follow. It is glorious and detailed and, quite often, beautifully and incredibly executed.
I know that it is hard to convert people to baseball.
But I'll never stop trying.

3 comments:

'neice said...

Wanna catch an Angels game when I'm in town? I was supposed to go to PDCM and since it has been canceled I am already locked in because I did my hotel on priceline. I don't mind having a 9 day vacation...just bummed 1/2 my hotel and my gas are no longer reimbursed expenses. I always go to a game when I come down for PDCM and always go alone!

PETE Di LALLO said...

YOU SAID IT!!!
Thanks soooo much for this great birthday gift...
I am anxious as H E double toothpicks for our day off Monday at the Dodger opener...we'll get there real early, eat a bunch of stuff, watch infield practice and watch the Dodgers whoop the Rockies

andrea said...

Julie - let's go to a game! I love baseball games too!