Friday, April 6, 2007

Imaginary friends

I don't really remember them, but my parents often remind me of the imaginary friends I had as a very young child. "Toadie and Clyde" were the names of these companions who, apparently, sat at dinner with us, took a bath with me and lived under the kitchen sink.
My sister, Debra--for years!--had two imaginary friends, "Sack and Sicko." They went everywhere with Debra. She told stories of their great adventures and the exciting things they had done. I remember going out to the swing set once and Debra would not let me sit on the swings because Sack and Sicko were on them. (I think the names came from an attempt to pronounce "San Francisco")
Allison had two imaginary friends for years as well. "Peely and Penelope." I think it was actually Peely Herman Boss and his lovely wife. Allison was always talking to Peely and telling me stories about him. Peely worked at the bicycle shop behind Carl's Jr on Muirlands but Penelope was not quite as lucky at keeping jobs. She worked at the donut store for a while and then at Baskin Robbins. For some reason, I think she did a stint at Freedom Village too.
My niece, Thea has an imaginary friend named Dana. Dana is a squirrel who lives on their front porch and speaks only Spanish. They put nuts out for her...
Nuts, huh?

7 comments:

Josh(ua) Treece said...

I actually never had any imaginary friends. Julie, in your opinion as a mother, did I miss a super important part of my childhood development? Should I make up for it now?

Julie Hibbard said...

I am sure you are far healthier than anyone in my family for NOT having had to make up people to play with Josh. But, still, you do have plenty of time to start imagining now...I have a feeling they will be different now (beautiful, female, about 25) than they would have been when you were 5.

Allison said...

Ummm...

Get it right please.

His name was PEELEY HERMAN BLOCK...

Oh, and you forgot to mention that he also worked at the Police Department...and that's why I called the cops one night--I asked to talk to Peeley.

Sarah said...

I never had an imaginary friend either. My nephew did. When they lived in Manhattan he would carry his "friend" in his hand as they walked the busy street. On day while crossing the street, he suddenly let go of his mother's hand and ran back into the intersection. He had dropped his friend and went back to get him.

PETE Di LALLO said...

This is the funniest thing you've written in a long time...I had to call Bum and read it to her...she was almost crying with laughter and brought good, old memories to both of us...
she reminded me asking Debby a long time after not having heard her talk about Sack & Sicko what had happened to them and she said that they both got run over by a car in front of our house!
besides Thea's imaginary squirrel friend there was a 'real' squirrel living in their neighborhood who often walked the telephone lines across the street from their home and it would make it's way to her side of the stree and end up sitting on her front porch...she actually left nuts on the porch and the squirrel ate them...
This squirrel's name was Chico from the cartoon Dora the explorer who really spoke Spanish...he has not been seen for many months...

Unknown said...

This is too funny! I don't think I had an imaginary friend when I was little.
Is there an age limit for them?

Brent said...

I don't remember having any imaginary friends, but if I did, they would have spoken Spanish.