Thursday, December 7, 2006

The soundtrack of my life...courtesy of ipod


While adding songs to my ipod last week, I realized that I have 2553 songs on it now. I always listen to a playlist or recently added or purchased OR to one particular artist at a time (mostly John Mayer...I swear we share thoughts.)
Anyway, I decided I needed to start listening to the 2553 one after the other to find out what else is on there!
...no changing to a playlist and no running back to John.
I tell ya, it's been incredible. I keep saying, "Oh! I love this song!" There are literally HUNDREDS of songs on it that I haven't heard in years and I just love...there are also MANY that just need to be put to rest. But the one thing I am really enjoying is how a song can conjure up an incredibly specific memory...and as I listened quite a bit these last few days, I realized how meaningful all these songs are to me...they've been the "background" music to my life. They ARE my memories.
A few examples...
"Julie, do ya love me" Bobby Sherman's big 1968 hit and MY very first 45 record (I was 5)...I was sure he was singing to me...
"Ooh, baby I love your way" Peter Frampton--the very first concert I ever went to..with my folks...I think I was 12.
"Take it to the Limit" by the Eagles and "Rocky Mountain High" by John Denver. My family did a 27-state tour in 1978. I made a bunch of mix tapes which were sung over and over during the 5 weeks in our Motorhome and at KOAs accross the country
"Babe" by Styx --Homecoming 1978--with Steve Brady. Wow.
"Endless Love" Lionel Richie and Diana Ross--this was (ironically enough) the song sung at my wedding...
"Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics-- the first song Allison ever danced to! She was about 9 months old
"Roxanne"--The Police...we saw them in concert at least a dozen times. Our dog was also Roxanne...
"Karma Chameleon"--Culture Club--my sisters and I took Allison, age 3,--DRESSED AS BOY GEORGE--to this concert
"Mrs. Robinson" by Simon &Garfunkel. Zac was about 4, he heard this song & said, "Mommy, Jesus loves Mrs. Robinson!"
Love the early '80s songs--the Cars, Pretenders, Blondie and anything that reminds me of the early days of MTV. It was one of about 6 cable chanels available. Our TV still had a UHF knob.
TRIVIA--WHAT WAS THE FIRST VIDEO TO PLAY ON MTV?
There are so many songs that make me think of specific people or special times in life.
"Disappear", "Unchained Melody", "At Last" and "How Great is our God" ( the #1 most played song on my ipod!)
And then, there are those that just need to go...all the Michael Jackson is on the way out. As well as anything from the School House Rock soundtrack and all songs from Broadway plays.
And, oh dear God for sure--anything by James Blunt (besides "You're Beautiful")

Current soundtrack? Anything by Stevie Wonder, The Black Eyed Peas, Seal, Coldplay, Frank Sinatra, Sting, Ray Charles, Maroon 5, John Mayer. OK, there are a lot more too...
I SO love music, I love all the memories.
I love that feeling that you get--for just a second--of "being there" again..

I failed to mention my all-time #1 favorite singer on the ipod--
Allison Hibbard-- who holds SEVEN of the 2553 spots...
the best seven for sure. Talk about memories!

What's on YOUR soundtrack?
I hope you had the time of your life...

3 comments:

Allison said...

Video Killed the Radio Star.

Don't get rid of MJ...he's the best!

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

Video Killed the Radio Star

James Taylor is the most played artist on my ipod.

md said...

Waiting for my Real Life to begin.
So Close