Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A few of my favorite things...


CHRISTMAS DAY 2006
I had to be at work for the Christmas Brunch from 8:30 to 3:00 today...It was really busy, a lot of fun and a total reminder of how much I enjoy working the great people of Montage Laguna Beach!
I hurried out to go be with my family...what a blessing it is to only have to drive six miles to my parent's house in Lake Forest to be with these people--three out of my four sisters, (we missed you Leesa!), my children, Allison and Zac (and Matt), my parents, MY GRANDPARENTS, my nephews, my little neice, and other assorted cousins, boyfriends and long time friends...
THESE are people who not only LOVE each other--but deeply and profoundly KNOW each other. No one in that house left with out an armload of gifts...the difference with my family is--EVERY gift is hand-chosen with care and love for the recipient...purchased because it is SO PERFECT and GIVEN with more excitement than ANY gift is received. No one in that house would have been able to take home MY gifts-- "1001 reasons to love baseball" book, framed vintage art posters, a door mat with the Eiffel Tower on it, Dodger and Angel plates and bowls and Dodgers charm bracelet, among other things!
THESE PEOPLE KNOW ME! They were ALL excited to give these gifts to me...And, every person in that room is the same--my family might be a bit crazy and loud and we are all over-huggers and over-spenders--but DAMN--we know and love and care for each other like no other family in the world....
I SO ENJOYED giving my gifts and watching the joy in each person as they opened my 'personally chosen for you' gift. (No one else would have wanted Gina's "bigfoot" beer--and she CRIED when she opened it!) And I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED watching MY kids give their aunts, cousins and grandparents personally chosen and unbelievably personal gifts.
I am proud of--and so happy for!--Allison and Zachary (and Matt!) THEY GET IT! The incomparable joy of giving.
It is definitely the most wonderful time of the year...
Who am I kidding?! EVERY day is like this! I am SO blessed to be part of a this one of a kind family full of people who know EXACTLY WHO I AM and what I love...and who also know, with out a doubt, how much I love them.
I am blessed to be part of this family...amazingly blessed.
Hope your Christmas was amazing...

3 comments:

Matt Jensen said...

Very Very fun time...I'm glad my presents were such a hit. I really felt like Debby likes/(is comfortable with) me now, (not that she didn't before), but we were like best buds tonight. (I like her a lot!) I like your whole family A LOT!...Especially your daughter ;-) Very Very fun, can't wait till next year!

Allison said...

I think Matt deserves a little more credit than (and Matt!) since he did buy some of the best gifts of the evening.

Julie Hibbard said...

I just got off the phone with Bum and, she agrees with you...Matt was the most thoughtful of all the people there yesterday. He gave gifts that were so personal--to my sisters and their kids!!--and he has only known them a couple of years.
He's great Allison. Plus he's happy and friendly and hilarious...
I am so glad he's in your life...and mine too.