Friday, December 22, 2006

I went back to the gym today!


My sister Gina sent me this picture. And it frightened me.
This is my 8th day off in a row...I don't go back to work til January 3rd. I have been sleeping in each day, reading, watching movies, and just really enjoying the time off! I have also used this time to catch up with friends and family by meeting them for breakfasts and lunches and a Gingerbread latte or two. And, as if that were not enough, I have had friends over for dinner EVERY NIGHT THIS WEEK! I'm talking manacotti, tri tip, enchiladas and of course, home-made desserts each night...apple cobbler, pumpkin tarts, marshmallow fudge! Add to that a bottle of chianti, chardonnay or a Corona or two and you have a week that has been straight out of a Jenny Craig nightmare!
And when Gina sent me this picture, well, I just knew it was a sign...it was time to get MY big a** back to the gym...
So, I got up early this morning, dug out my sweats and my UCLA workout shirt and got over to 24-hour fitness.
I had joined about a month ago, through Montage, but just "never had a chance" to get there...for some reason. I guess I was kinda afraid. I had been "regular" at LA Fitness for a long time...but had quit there a while back--God knows why.
But guess what? It wasn't scary at all. I walked in and 12-year-old Ian at the front desk welcomed me as if I had been in there every day of his young life. I took a quick look around and realized that I was not nearly the oldest, definitely not the largest and for sure NOT among the least attractive persons there. In fact, I would say, I looked like I fit right in...
I got on the treadmill, fumbling for only a minute or two while trying to figure out the 25-step process to get it going. I quickly tried to find the right place to put my keys, towel and water bottle...all, of course, while pretending I do this every day. I got it going, set my Ipod to my "workout" playlist and started running...And--MAN--was it GREAT! I ran three miles before I knew it...and it felt sooooo good...!
I was stoked to finish up and go weigh in on the "real" scale in the locker room--132 pounds.
Not too shabby for someone who had consumed more food and wine in the last six days than in the last six months combined...seriously.
The last of the breakfasts AND dinners is tomorrow...and, once Christmas is over, and well, once I get back from Seattle, I will be back to Balance Bars and Lean Cuisines...(and an occasional Corona--LITE)

The goal? Five times a week at the gym, 125 pounds, and the size 4 jeans...comfortable and with the shirt tucked in...
The REAL goal? To NEVER EVER EVER have my rear end hanging over both sides of a chair...

1 comment:

Allison said...

you will need to have a few GB Lattes in Seattle.