Saturday, December 9, 2006

How many days til Baseball Season?



I admit it, I suffer from "post baseball season depression"...while most people try to find a way to "keep christmas in their heart all year long"...I have baseball in mine. My love for baseball started long ago--in the garage with my dad...listening to Vin Scully on the little black transister radio...we'd root and cheer and listen to the very end. My dad taught me about the fat lady...we never turned it off til it was over. Still today, I have a TV in my bedroom reserved only for baseball games that run past my bedtime...seems I can't go to sleep til I hear Vinny say, "Good night everybody!" On an occasional Sunday back in the day, there would actually be a game on TV! Channel 11--I remember reading the paper with my dad as we watched!
Gosh I loved those days! My dad and I STILL enjoy going to games together...getting there early for a beer and a hot dog while we watch BP and staying til the fat one starts singing...no matter what the score...
Baseball is really the only thing I watch on TV...I LOVE the sound of Vinny saying, "It's time for Dodger Baseball!!" Aah. In the non-baseball season I watch a few movies (Sandlot, Field of Dreams), celebrate Christmas (with a half dozen Dodger ornaments on the tree) and read--keeping close tabs on what's going on with the baseball world...
GOOD NEWS--Dodgers will have their names on their shirts next year...GREATER NEWS--Luis Gonzalez is a Dodger!
In my Loft hangs the picture above. The first thing I bought to hang in my new home. An autographed photo of Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, Davey Lopes and Bill Russell--amazing players who set a record staying together as an infield for EIGHT years. Such GREAT years too. Years that included Steve Yeager, Dusty Baker, Manny Mota, Don Sutton and, ah, Fernando...And, just a few years later, Kirk Gibson's pinch-hit, two run shot in the bottom of the 9th to win game one of the 1988 World Series would become MY FAVORITE MOMENT IN BASEBALL! I am sure EVERYONE agrees! Hobbling around those bases, pumping his arm!! GOSH...it just doesn't get any better!!! It is just such a great game...the greatest, for sure...Gosh do I miss it!!!
Only 115 more days til I can ROOT ROOT ROOT for the Dodgers!
I don't care if I ever get back...

1 comment:

Matt Jensen said...

I'm glad I don't watch basebal...sometimes I wish I did just because The Sandlot is such a great movie.