Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Something's Missing...

I'm not alone,
I wish I was

'Cause then I'd know I was down because

I couldn't find a friend around

To love me like they do right now

They do right now

I'm dizzy from the shopping mall
I searched for joy but I bought it all

It doesn't help the hunger pains

And a thirst I'd have to drown first to ever satiate

Something's missing
And I don't know how to fix it

Something's missing

And I don't know what it is

No I don't know what it is

At all

These are words from John Mayer's song, "Something's Missing" and though I have heard the song 100 times before, it literally hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday when it randomly came up on my iPod.
I feel his pain.
The end of the song is even eerier to me...he lists all the great things he has in his life, and wonders why he still feels a void. "Friends--check. Money--check. Well slept--check...."
Gotta say, I feel the exact same way. Sometimes I even feel guilty for admitting that I am not fully satisfied when I look at ALL I have in my life...
Friends-check! Money--check! Great job--check! House-check! Plenty of sleep, clothes, food, nice car, great kids, family close by...yeah, I KNOW...I freaking have it all! I literally have every single thing that anyone could ever want in their life and I've done all the things that anyone would ever even HOPE to do. Hell, I've been to Europe THREE times. I don't want for anything. Please know that I am grateful every day...
But something's still missing.
I am not saying that I am unhappy. Not at all. But as I sit here in my beautiful clean home, laundry done, fridge full, bills paid...at 7:30 am on my day off, wondering what I am going to do all day...I am SLAPPED with the fact that something is definitely missing! I have to find ways to fill the hours til 9pm...when I can go to bed. Thank God I work tomorrow.
I will probably go see a couple of movies and then read a book--or two. These days I often sit down and read a full book. Yep, sometimes two.
Nothing to do and plenty of time to do it.
It is so damn odd.
I'm not complaining. Really! Just letting you know.
Something's missing and I don't know what it is at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe your Dodgers lost... :-) Just teasing you! It was still a fun game to watch.

Julie Hibbard said...

That's it! Those darn Dodgers! They better pull through for me tonight! :)

Heather McTaggart said...

You will....in time!