Saturday, April 5, 2008

Screwed up



I just returned from an interesting shopping spree at Bev Mo. I went in to take advantage of their "buy one bottle, get one for 5 cents" sale--SUCH a deal! Honestly, I could spend HOURS checking out all the different kinds of wines in that store.

But something baffled me tonight: when did all the wines start being 'screw off' tops?
Most of the 'buy one-get ones' were screw-top and even some of the $25 bottles no longer have corks!

Over the last few years I have truly learned to love wine. But I have to admit, part of the 'charm' of the wine experience for me is the un-corking...the anticipation of the 'pop'...and the smelling of the cork--which I keep! I have bowls full of BEAUTIFUL corks in my home. Certainly I am not the only one who thinks un-screwing a bottle of wine takes away some of the charm!

I'm sorry...the screw-off top just screams "HIGH SCHOOL" and Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill!

I ended up buying six bottles of wine--all with corks! I refuse to open a nice bottle of wine the same way I open a bottle of Diet Coke.
Isn't there some other option?!

PS I was NOT carded at Bev Mo this time. Apparently I looked over 40 tonight.
I need a drink.

2 comments:

Heather McTaggart said...

Actually David can help you with this! He tells me something about wines going back to screw top because something, something, something, but I don't remember why! We will have a night of "wine talk" with the expert Trader Joe's wine guy to figure this out..though I can't partake!

Eliane said...

I agree with you. The only time I could have appreciate a screw top was when I had to open a bottle of wine with a pair of scissor and a screw driver... Oh! those were the days!!!