Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Happy Birthday Edna!

Edna Parker of Indiana turned 115 last week! Edna was born in 1893, which means she was 70 when I was born...heck, she was already 20 when MY GRANDMOTHER was born! Grover Cleveland was President of the United States. There were no cars or airplanes--not to mention EVERY SINGLE THING invented in the 20th century! Basically, Edna has seen a lot go down.
Edna's husband wasn't as lucky in life...she has been a widow since 1938, when Earl died of a heart attack at the age of 42. But living long does run in her family...her sister Georgia lived to be 99, while her sister Opal died at 88 (Slacker!)
Scientists say that almost every supercentenarian (someone who lives to be 100) has a mother, sister, or other family member who lived long. My own 94 year old grandmother has a sister who is 103! Apparently, supercentenarians like Edna have some sort of genetic mutations that slow the aging process, or help them resist age-related diseases. Scientists also say that the ability to manage stress is a big reason these people make it to 100. There's another reason to give yourself a break, and let go of whatever's bothering you today.
I think Edna looks great! Of course, when I am 115 (in 2078!) I'll still have long blond hair and bangs (at that point they'll help hide the age spots on the forehead.) Allison will be 96 by then. I'm sure she will have finally given up on me getting a new hair do.
I just keep thinking of Edna on the night the century changed to 2000--heck, she was only 104 back then!
She probably partied like it was 1899.

3 comments:

Suefalla said...

Dear God,
I don't want to live until I'm 100.
Amen

Allison said...

Partied like it's 1899...ridiculous...but Matt Hall would laugh!

Eliane said...

My grandmother is 99 and loves life still today.
I hope I follow in her footsteps. You and I will be like our grand mothers Julie and we'll still have fun and laugh. I am staying curious!