Sunday, May 3, 2009

Karibu James!!

This is James Juma and he has just moved here from Kitale, Kenya! James has been a great friend--as well as driver, translator and protector!--of Allison's for YEARS while she was in Kenya!! I had heard wonderful stories about James from Allison and so many others, and was so blessed to have met him when I was there last year. And SO happy to see him today!
James has been trying for many years to get a visa to come and go to school in California. It took much work--from the other side of the world--and it has finally happened! James is living with an amazing family here in the OC and will be attending community college beginning this week! I have invited him to come to see Montage later this week AND to come to my home for an Italian dinner. He's never had Italian food! There is so much he has yet to do!And, the bonus to the day was seeing many of the folks who were on the Kenyan trip with Allison and me last Summer. Chris was one of the people who stayed six months with Allison, and Georgia is one of the nurses who lead the mobile medical units. These are such great people!Since we are trying to help aclimate James to California, I thought he needed a beautiful new blue shirt to get him started! I asked if he'd like to go to a baseball game someday too...
oh man, he has no idea what he's in for.

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

Ah, he is lucky to have you to make him feel right at home in the new country. You are such a positive force, he will be feeling at ease in no time.;)

Eliane said...

What a beautiful blog, great story and such a sweet looking young man.
I love the Dodger t-shirt the best. You are so good. You made my day!