Sunday, May 10, 2009

As good as it gets

After an extremely exhausting day at work, I rushed home to shower and change clothes before meeting my son for Mother's Day dinner. The Dodgers were winning on my drive over to the restaurant and losing by the time I got there. They tied it up just as we were seated only to LOSE it right before our dinner came. Long day became even longer.
As we ate, my son began talking about his new job. Along with the rest of the world, over the last several months--even with his Bachelor's Degree--he's had a hard time finding work. He has a terrific part-time job which he really loves, and has now taken on a full-time job (yes, in addition to the other job...that's my boy!)...but, unfortunately, it is not exactly his dream job.
Not even close.
My mother, always wanting everyone to be happy said to him, "Well, I know you are going to find the greatest job in the world one day soon...one you really love!" She knows that I hate when she says things like this--mostly because she is usually referring to the illusive amazing man who is "going to come into my life at any moment." Truth is, there is no way that she can know these kinds of things.
But without a flinch, my son replied,
"You have to be happy in the room you are in."
Wow. Talk about simple wisdom. How true is that?!
Rather than wishing or hoping or dreaming that something BETTER is going to come along...you have to be happy right now. With what you have. With what you do. With where you are.
I am so proud of my son.
And I thought about this the whole way home.
Cause I know that I have an incredible life. And, honestly, the only time I ever feel sad or depressed is when I think that things should be different. That I would be HAPPIER if only...

Instead, I need to admit that if this is as good as it gets...well, that it's pretty damn good. Even when the work day is long. Even when the Dodgers lose.
I have to be happy in the room I am in.
Tonight, for Mother's Day, in addition to dinner and beautiful flowers...
my son gave me an incredible gift.
Now THAT'S my boy.

3 comments:

Annie Smith said...

i like that

Eliane said...

Wow! Good for Zac! The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

S. said...

Oh, so true....yet at times, so hard to remember to do. Glad that you had a wonderful Mother's Day! Thanks for your comments as well.....

Be Blessed!