Monday, March 10, 2008

Old Mother Hibbard...

Yep. The cupboard is bare. Seriously, there is not one thing left to eat in this house...
I always tell people that the best part of being single is never having to go to the market. Of course the worst part of being single is that I never go to the market.

Besides a jar of marmalade and a few condiments, what's left in the fridge is a tub of salsa and a Slimfast--which looks like it will be dinner. (The Slimfast...hold the salsa.)
I am reluctant to admit that I have been drinking that milk, though it technically expired three days ago. (Come on, it’s fine!)


In the freezer? Well, having let go of my last Eggo last night, a 10-pound frozen turkey and half a Pumpkin pie, both left from Thanksgiving, are all that remain.
I have been trying to save money and calories by avoiding a trip to the market, and I have succeeded on both counts! Then it actually kinda became a game: How long could I last without having to go grocery shopping? I've been totally creative and have come up with GENIUS combinations for dinners using every single food item in the house! And then, of course there were lots of frozen waffles with jelly! (Trust me, I'm not starving...)
But, I do believe the game is officially over. And I’m pretty sure that I didn’t win. I’ve promised myself that I will go to the market tomorrow after work.
Come on...that milk will be just fine in my coffee for one more day!

8 comments:

TSHarrison said...

I quit buying cereal, because I never have milk.
I never have milk, because after a day or two I grow paranoid that it's turned and quickly pour it down the drain.
However I always have popcorn (not that microwave stuff either) and Country Time pink lemonade. So if you are ever in San Antonio, come on over for some dinner...er...a snack.

Heather McTaggart said...

I see a trip to Trader Joe's in your future...I am talented like that!

Insured Asset Solutions said...

You're not still on that slimfast and cardboard rice cake diet are you?

Ange said...

if I didn't know who wrote this I would have thought it was written by a starving college student!! great idea though, I should try this with shampoo and actually use all those hotel samples I steal.

Eliane said...

Wish I was there... we would go to CostCo girlfriend! Shrimp cocktail and salad and wine of course. Yum!

PETE Di LALLO said...

It's not hard to believe you have an empty fridge...why would you stock it up with all the 'meals-out' you do...your previous post with Sarah should have filled you up for a few days...
I AM surprised you don't have a stash of white wines in there tho...

Julie Hibbard said...

Well...I am kinda a RED wine drinker these days. Lots of Pinot and Shiraz and a good Chianti!
But, I will admit there are a few Corona Lights in the bottom drawer of the fridge...

Allison said...

Hilarious and disgusting...I'm with TS, I hate old milk...how did you raise me?!