Friday, March 14, 2008

Assisted living

One of the main focal points of my home is the dozen or so framed pictures hung along my hallway. I've yet to have anyone come over who did not want a little "tour" of these photographs...and, of course, I am pleased to oblige. Every person pictured on the wall is someone who helped me live through 2005. These are the people who got me back on my feet (often quite literally), invited me out to breakfast, coffee or a movie (anything to get me out of bed!), and the people who listened and talked and cried and encouraged me--over and over and over--to move forward.
They are my children, my parents, my grandparents and my sisters. And LOTS and LOTS of incredible friends. These deep, caring relationships--rich in unconditional love--brought me back to life. I am oh so grateful!
The words on the wall read:
"If I know what love is, it's because of you."
So, speaking of friendships...I am taking off RIGHT NOW to spend the weekend with THREE of my BEST girlfriends from high school! We have ALL been there for each other for the last 30 plus years! Our plan is to just visit and relax and eat and read and laugh (oh dear God, Kelly makes me laugh more than anyone in the world can) and talk and sleep and lay by the pool and, yes, drink! We did this five years ago--same place, same girls--but I was working at the church and unable to enjoy the endless flow of Margaritas that weekend. Not so this time!
Above you will see my contribution to THIS year's retreat...yep...all the essentials. Only downside to the weekend...no Internet. I KNOW! I will be bringing my laptop and saying a few prayers in hopes that I can pirate an airport signal from a neighbor! (Who's the patron saint of lost Internet access?) If not, well, I'll grab another beer, go lay by the pool and try really hard to get over it! I'M SO EXCITED! I'll have lots of pictures to post and stories to tell on Sunday!
Here's to good friends!

3 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

I love your blog titles, Julie! Always clever ;-)

Heather McTaggart said...

I hope you are having the time of your life!

Eliane said...

Have fun!!!!