Thursday, February 28, 2008

Smiles, everyone, smiles!

Every day I walk through the back halls at work smiling and saying hello to each person who passes by me. I've been there almost three years now and I've loved getting to know everyone and being able to call them by their name! (No sweeter sound) I say GOOD MORNING or GOOD AFTERNOON to each of them...I SO love if I can bring a smile to their face! The majority of the people I work with are incredibly kind, loving and happy. Most of them know MY name too, and it's a thrill for me to hear, "Good Morning Julie!" 32 times down the back hallway. Seriously, this is probably what I love most about my job.
Then there's Robert. Think "Eeyore." Yeah, there's a little rain cloud over Robert's head every single day. You know, he's busy, he's tired, he's the hardest worker at Montage, his wife is sick, his dog needs an operation, some kid beat him up when he was in 3rd grade--it's ALWAYS something--some 'reason' for Robert to not be happy.
One of my goals EVERY DAY is to say hello to Robert and remind him of what a GREAT day it is! Today, I spotted Robert as I came down the hall toward the cafeteria. I smiled and said, (over dramatically, I confess) "Good Afternoon Roberto!" He stopped what he was doing and just looked at me. So I stopped and looked right back.
He said, "Don't you ever have a bad day? Aren't you EVER mad or sad or pissed off or angry?" The thing is, he was kinda laughing and I could not stop smiling and was holding back giggles as he rattled off his questions to me. He finished up with, "Julie, what are you so happy about?"
The door was open. I have been hoping to put a smile on Robert's face for three years.
I said, "Today? Well, let's see...the Dodgers won and I just talked to my son, (then I realized I had started a little poem and tried to get really funny)... my hair's in a bun, I don't weigh a ton, and I don't own a gun....(ok, at this point, he is laughing--out loud--and I want to keep going) work is real fun--we should go for a run!" And ROBERT says, "Out in the sun??"
We were really laughing now--me and ROBERT! I was literally wiping tears from my face. (Laughing til you cry is the BEST laughter!)
I hugged a smiling Robert and, as I walked away, added the last line to our poem,
"My work here is done."

5 comments:

Gina Vistaunet said...

You and Dr. Suess!!!

Gina Vistaunet said...

You and Mr. Roarke.

Heather McTaggart said...

EVERY PERSON ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH...needs a Julie-loo-hoo in their lives! Yeah for who you are and that you brought a smile to Robert's face! You shine on and on! I will try that with the "Robert" at my work and see if it works...stay tuned, he's a hard nut to crack!

Eliane said...

I like to say to you,
Good Morning Beautiful!!!!

NoBadDaysCourtney said...

HAAA! That is awesome!