Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hair cut 100

If I ever tell you that I have an appointment to get my hair cut, just know that the actual translation is "I am getting my roots done." I have standing appointments with Sally, my hairdresser of 10 years, every four weeks on the dot. It's an excursion to the depths of Santa Margarita every month and, yes, it costs me a pretty penny...but, I have said it a million times... if it comes between eating and staying blond...the roots have it.
At (nearly) 45 I am finally ready to admit two truths about myself: I have junk in the trunk and I have long, straight, thin hair. (Too bad we're not talking about my legs.)
The junk in the trunk is a constant battle...I refer to it as visual evidence of the 1/4 Italian in me.
But the battle with the hair was over years ago...it does nothing. It lays straight. It has a cowlick in the front that has forced me to wear bangs since I was old enough to know better. Even if I blow dry, curl, spray, use dippity-do or any other type of pillow-staining product...it doesn't help matters. Within an hour or so, it is straight again. I gave up trying to do anything different. On the upside, I can be ready to go anywhere in 10 minutes...I don't spend any time on my hair.
When I went in to get my "haircut" yesterday, I told Sally that I was going through a change (not the change)...what could she do for me? Sally has been trying to talk me into losing the "Jan Brady" look for years. She was thrilled to start chopping.
(After the magnificent HAIR WASHING experience...GOSH I love having her wash my hair...it feels SO good!)
So....all that to say--yesterday, I got my hair cut. This was that .01% of the time that my hair was actually CUT. Golden locks were falling to the floor in 4 and 5 inch strands. Sally cut, chopped, fixed, styled, blew and spritzed my hair into a new style...
And I like it.
It's still blond, somewhat long and, of course the eternal bangs remain, but I swear, it has given me that little bit of 'lift' I was hoping for...
And, for now anyway, it helps takes the attention off the junk...

5 comments:

Allison said...

It's cute! Way to go Jan!

Josh(ua) Treece said...

It looks great Julie!

Heather McTaggart said...

SO GORGEOUS! Way to give yourself a "pick me up!"

Eliane said...

You are so beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

1/4 Italian junk?
Strange, that is the way we call american food in Italy. I bet you have to turn figures upside down.