Thursday, February 21, 2008

Back to school!

I just got home from my first night of "Financial Independence Class" at the local community college. Gotta tell ya first off, I am a school lover! I love just BEING on a campus and having someone TEACH me something I had never thought of before. I actually spent 15 of my 17 years of college on THAT very campus! (I know, I should have multiple PhDs.)
Unfortunately for me, money is something I haven't been able to quite get a handle on these last few years. I always think I'm fine...as long as I can check my online bank statement about 8 times a day.
I'll admit that for most of my life I ran an amazing household--great mom, cleanest house on the block and made dinner nearly every night for 23 years...but I was married to a man with an MBA. He took care of the money. (And, obviously, he did a great job.) But I never learned how to manage money, invest money or even how to spend wisely.
All that's changing starting tonight!
The class was SO interesting, so challenging and immediately applicable! Bottom line, it's absolutely necessary in my life right now.
I still LOVE the fact that there isn't anyone asking me why I went to Target three times this week or telling me that I don't need another sweater--take it back.
But it's time for a little more self control in the money department.
Plus--big bonus--I have HOMEWORK:
I have to figure out how much I'm worth.

4 comments:

Eliane said...

I am so proud of you. You were the best wife on the planet. Managing money can be learn..being the fabulous person that you are can't. As far as your worth... priceless!!!!

Brent said...

You are worth a lot, regardless of how much is in your bank account.

PETE Di LALLO said...

One is never too old to learn...are there any openings in that class?

Heather McTaggart said...

There is not enough money on this earth to show how much you are worth! Great job going back to school. When I am through with my horrible ordeal I plan on taking an Excel class. This whole thing is making me rethink how I will add more to my life! Can't wait for my next chapter, maybe I will see you at school!