Monday, July 26, 2010

I can't get no...oh, yes I can!

For years I remember always wishing I was the woman sitting alone in the coffee house reading a book. Having been the oldest of five kids and having two of my own by 21, I don't think I could have thought of anything more relaxing and enjoyable than drinking a cup of coffee and having time to read--and being by myself.
As years went by I would see a woman sitting alone in a restaurant reading the paper or going over notes or writing in a journal and I always admired these women--they had their own life and they were taking care of themselves. I envied them.
Self nurturing is bit of a struggle for most of us who were raised to admire our grandmothers who had 8 kids or our parents who "sacrificed their own happiness" for their childrens'. We were raised to believe that taking care of ourselves on the inside and the out meant that we were selfish or self-serving. Of course, it was rarely really an option anyway.
The last five years has been a journey of self discovery soaked in self nurturing for me. That doesn't mean that I sit in a bathtub with candles glowing in the room (though I do.) It means I have taken small steps toward finding out what truly makes me happy...and that I have (joyfully) allowed myself to take those steps every day.
I've finally learned to take care of myself on the INSIDE too. I have been able to take the time to recognize and forgive myself for ignorant actions in my past, which has allowed me to live calmly, constructively and cheerfully in the present.
I have learned to work both the successes and the disappointments in my life for good! I have dreams and goals and hopes and desires--for ME--and I not only allow them happen, I work toward those goals on a daily basis. I am my own biggest cheerleader!
I have love and joy and peace...and I know how to live life to the fullest. Every single day.
It starts by realizing that it's not only OK to take care of yourself, but that it is VITAL! When I feel good physically and mentally I am full of happiness and joy which leads to peace and, harmony and, ultimately, deep satisfaction.
So these days, I take long baths--often with a glass of wine--(ok, usually a beer), I go to yoga or take a walk. I sit on my patio and read or take my self out to coffee or breakfast with the Sunday LA Times. And I think and breathe...and I smile.
This is exactly where I always wanted to be.
I am healthy. I am happy. I am very well taken care of.
And oh so satisfied.

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

Such a positive post dear Julie.;)) I am so happy to hear that sitting alone can at times be envied, not pitied. As I often sit alone.;)
You are such a warm and happy person dear Julie do not change.;)
I have a family visit this week thus forgive me if my visits here will be sporadic; hope it is a good one for you.;)
xo

BUM said...

I'm glad that you are working on these things...because if you wait for them to come along then we all would be waiting and waiting and waiting.