Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Empty nest? Come fly with me!

I always tell people that my children are great, grown, and gone. College graduates, living out on their own--one in Los Angeles, the other in either Newport Beach or Africa! They are independent, productive members of society--and on top of all that--they are really enjoyable people to be with.
If I do say so myself, “I done good.”
Each of them also has their own hopes and dreams.
And I have mine. Not for them. For me.
I haven't experienced a syndrome of “empty nest." Although I was the one who ‘flew the coop’ a few years ago--my kids were already in their 20s. At that point I realized that my happiness had to be independent of my children’s lives. And they appreciate this too, by the way. They love knowing that in addition to the great joy I have in being their mother, I am enjoying a rich and incredibly fulfilling life.
I would go so far as to say that I believe this freedom is somewhat of a reward for a job well done! I don’t think the second half of life has any sort of syndrome at all. Along with most women in my stage of life, my days are filled with an enjoyable and highly rewarding job. My evenings are filled with experiences at new restaurants, fun classes and being a part of a variety of events with my good friends. My vacations have taken me out of the country three out of the last four years and I'm busy planning this year's European excursion already. I am loving the fact that I now have the time to cultivate friendships and relationships like I never could before.
Empty Nest Syndrome? Come on! There's so much good stuff left to do! We've only just begun! No syndrome should even be allowed! Just the term “empty nester” sounds depressing to me. Like you're sitting in the nest hoping that the little birds come by for a worm. That’s just not me. I'm rarely at the nest...and God knows, even if I am, I'm surely not sitting.
I am wondering if perhaps the syndrome might just be fading away with my generation. The generation who always worked, had careers and were encouraged to have outside interests as we raised our children. Seems like we are far healthier and (dare I say) happier than our mothers and grandmothers were at the same point in their lives. We have more direction, deep desires and the determination to live the next half of our lives pursuing our own dreams! Our new dreams! We are re-feathering our nests with what makes US happy and patting ourselves on the back for encouraging--and allowing--our kids to fly on their own.
And, man...are we are loving the feeling of our own ride!
My children are--no doubt--my greatest accomplishment in life. They now have their own nests, their own flight paths, and their own destinations. They know that the nest is still here, though a bit smaller now (and really clean) if they ever need a place to land and a quick worm or two. But in the mean time, I know that they really love the fact that I am out there flying high and soaring on my own.
Empty Nest? No way!!
This nest is FULL of great things!
Honestly...it's just a place to land in between beautiful flights. 

2 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

...great, grown and gone...
an awesome alliteration...

...if they ever need a place to land and a quick worm or two cracked me up!!!!

Kelly said...

I love that we both feel the exact same way regarding our so called Empty Nest!!! I just wish I could get rid of the ones that keep coming back!!!