Thursday, August 7, 2008

Out of Africa

After 35 hours of travel--I am home. My sweet dad greeted me with the GREAT news of Manny Ramirez joining the Dodgers (!) and then dropped me at my beautiful home...
I came in my house and turned on the lights, turned on the air conditioning and stripped off the clothes I had been wearing since Monday afternoon. I jumped in my hot shower and lathered up and washed my hair and shaved my legs and OPENED MY MOUTH to the strong stream of water! Oh, and I brushed my teeth with the water from the tap.
There is no place like home.
It is a little after midnight in the US of A and I am eating a DELICIOUS peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It's 10am in Kenya...my body thinks it missed breakfast.
It is impossible for me to tell you what I experienced over these last two weeks. It's like someone trying to describe the Grand Canyon--even with pictures you cannot convey the vastness, the beauty, the amazing feelings you have.
It is exactly the same with Kenya. And the people of Kenya. Even with the 2800 pictures I took, I will never be able to truly articulate what I saw, learned and felt. It was absolutely unbelievable--incredible and amazing. It was also tremendously depressing and heartbreaking and disturbing. And absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.
In a word--it was overwhelming. And it will take a while for me to process all of it. And for me to figure out what MY part will be in continuing to assist and love on those beautiful people.
Tomorrow I will download the pictures and narrow them down a bit. (Maybe...)
Tonight...I'm gonna charge up my phone and my camera and go dry my hair. I am gonna bury myself in the layers of blankets on my bed and attempt to sleep a bit.
My mind just won't stop.
Suffice it to say that the trip was spectacular. I have so many stories to share and memories to cherish. There were amazing adventures and so many hilarious moments! And a great surprise on top of it all.
Blogs for months to come.
Until then...
kwa heri

4 comments:

Eliane said...

Welcome home!!!
I can't wait to hear about it and see the pictures.
I missed you & I
I love you.

brad johnson said...

I went to the Montage twice for wine. Glad your back. Why will no one be surprised that you took nearly three thousand photos??

Gina Vistaunet said...

I hope the surprise isn't that you brought back an orphan baby.

PETE Di LALLO said...

I read this post at 6:00 this morning...obviously you were anxious to blog even tho you needed some heavy resting...
nice work...