Sunday, August 10, 2008

Kenya take a few more?

This morning I ordered prints of my Kenya photographs to make an album. It was tough, but I narrowed it down to the top 100 or so pictures. Though I'd love to share all 100 with you (come by my house and you can see all 1500!), I think the ones below come the closest to capturing the essence of the trip...
This is Solomon. He works at the camp we stayed at the last two nights. He was absolutely THRILLED to take a picture with me using my 'long arm' technique! We took about 10. And he wanted to look at the image every time.
This is Wilbur. Well, that's what I called him. He lives at Sister Freda's place.
(Well, he might have been dinner by now.)
This little baby was found in some bushes on the side of a road by Mary, the woman who helps Pastor Steve at his home. Mary immediately took the baby (her umbilical cord was still attached) to the police. They told Mary there was nothing they could do and that she should just keep the baby. She did. Her name is Angel.
Having to borrow Allison's clothes, I ended up in one of Taffy's small group sweatshirts.
I am still not sure that a 45 year old woman should wear "Droopys" across her chest.
These are children at one of the orphanages we visited.
The boy closest to me lost both his parents in the violence earlier this year.
(And BOY could he dance!)
And there's always lots of dancing going on...
At the flag raising ceremony at Deliverance Church...
Just a shot out the window as we drove through Kenya
At the Masai Mara
I LOVE this shot...It's in Potak, one of the small villages where we did a medical/dental/eye clinic.
Caught in a downpour, we gathered under this gorgeous tree.
Before the rain in Potak. We were up to our ankles in mud after that!
Twonga Twonga
Allison LOVES all the kids...
And vice versa.
Another beautiful smiling child at an orphanage
With the staff of the camp
Allison singing to men at the prison
Feeding the street kids at Deliverance
Helping a man 'see' by getting him the glasses he needed!
At one of our many gas station/bathroom stops
On the way home, we had an 8 hour layover in Amsterdam...
We took the train into town and walked around for several hours. It was fabulous! We had hot pastries to start with...and, later on, an ice-cold beer. It was a great way to end the trip...
I am still processing all that I saw and experienced and felt over the two weeks in Africa.
And I have a feeling the best blogs are still to come.

4 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

WOW!
your posts are awesomer than ever...
I wouldn't be surprised if Time Magazine called you for a follow up on Rick Warren...

Suefalla said...

I enjoy your kenya blogs a lot. I hope one day I can go to kenya too...

Eliane said...

I love it!
Keep posting sister!!!

SarahD said...

Should've brought the newborn to me as a token! I can nurse her!!