Monday, May 26, 2008

Hit me with your best shot!

I have OFTEN mentioned that I can beat anyone at Name That Tune. It is a RARE moment that I can't tell you the name of a song and who sings it and I can usually come up with a tid bit of information that you might have never known about the song. Yeah, it's more than most people want to know for sure. But it really is one of my gifts. (Addiction? Compulsion?)
If I can't figure out who sings it--I go crazy til I find out. Sometimes I hear a song at the market and I'll ask the checker who's singing. If he doesn't know the answer (or if he thinks I am a freak) I immediately head home to Google it. I rest only once I know who sings it and WHERE I know the song from. This doesn't happen very often tho, because I am pretty much the QUEEN of naming tunes.
But yesterday--I got to spend the day with the NAME THAT TUNE KING! It was breath taking...beautiful...absolutely brilliant! As we drove around, I scanned through my iPod mixing up songs and playing incredibly random selections--Neil Sedaka and Neil Diamond, Annie Lennox and Andy Gibb, Paul Simon, Paul Anka, Billy Joel, Billy Idol, Boston. I was trying hard to stump him--Boz Scaggs! A-ha! Hazy Fantazie! Roy Orbison!
He got every freeking one. Everything! Most on just a few notes. (We let a few play through so we could sing along. Most fun? Singing every word to "I Just Want to be Your Everything")
Seriously--we laughed the whole time and I was just totally blown away! I was SO impressed. I have NEVER known anyone who knew music better than me.
I handed over my crown.
At one point he told me about this time he heard a song and how he went crazy until he figured out who sang it and where he knew it from.
Hmmm...yep. I understand that.
I guess that makes two of us.

4 comments:

Gina Vistaunet said...

The freakness must run in the family. I love people who know all different music and sing too!!

TSHarrison said...

I'm horrible with music, but obsessive with movies.
imdb.com is my homepage for those moments when my mind just won't function or if i find myself completely stumped.

Eliane said...

So glad you had a good time with such a music lover like you.

Allison said...

I love that someone loves music like you do! What a fun day that you will remember every time you hear those songs!