Friday, March 16, 2007

Sunny Day

Last year I took my niece Sunny to her very first Angel game. I got her an Angel cap and she wore my jersey and we took our mitts and I talked to her all the way up to the stadium about what to expect. When we walked in and she had her first view of the field she said, "Oh! This is beautiful!" (Music to my ears.) I explained to her that because of where we were sitting, anytime a left handed batter came up, we would have the opportunity to catch a foul ball. She really started watching and let me know to be ready! Several times foul balls came our way, but we did not catch one. I said, "Sunny, I have been hoping to catch a foul ball my entire life." She said, "Why don't you just go buy one?" We ate nachos, peanuts, and ice cream and then--our favorite part--we stood up to sing, "Take me out to the ballgame"! I had been teaching Sunny this song since she was old enough to talk. We sang at the top of our lungs and she loved that we even got to sing it over again!
It was Friday night and we stayed to watch the spectacular firework show before we gathered all our stuff, tied her monkey around her neck and headed home.
As she snuggled into bed with me that night she said,
"Juju--this was the best day of my life."
...Baseball Season starts in 16 days...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

My dad, brother, and nephew leave for Spring Training in Wendesday..sniff, sniff. I listened to the Dodgers game on the way home from SoCal today. It' was great. I am excited that they are moving their Spring Training to the Cactus League!!

Andrew said...

that's rad. i wish you my aunt! can i call you auntie jules? :D

Anonymous said...

She loved that day!
We'll come back before the season is over and do it again! I like the why dont you just buy one comment....so Sunny!