Friday, March 23, 2007

Heroes in a half shell...

I hate to admit it, but I will probably go see this movie. I feel like I KNOW these guys--intimately! And I like them! Zachary owned EVERY SINGLE one of the TMNT (back when they were simply called, "Ninja Turtles") action figures and I put their arms and legs and heads back on hundreds of times...just for them to lose a limb again in the next fight.
I was thinking about the HUGE bucket of these guys that I am pretty sure is still in Zac's old room at home. He used to line them up and he could name them all, match them with their weapon of choice and tell you their secret power. I usually could at least tell you if they were a good guy or a bad guy. What else do I remember? Besides Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo eating lots of pizza and fighting crime in the sewers of NYC...I remember April O'Neil. And Master Splinter, and Shredder, and Casey Jones (with a baseball bat). Baxter Stockman? And Rat King. Bebop and Rocksteady (a hippo? Rhino?) I know there was a Panda and a Duck. And didn't one turn into a giant fly?
Zac had the helicopter, the van and assorted swords, guns, and head gear. He had the Pez dispensers, t shirts, video games and sleeping bag. We ate Ninja Turtle cereal, vitamins and lots of turtle-shaped macaroni and cheese. We enjoyed the movies, cartoons and even saw the TMNT live action rock concert!
I feel like I grew up with these guys. They entertained Zac and his buddies (and me) MANY hours for MANY years of his life. They are GOOD guys, FUNNY guys and had GREAT adventures. And the only thing they love more than fighting crime is eating.
My kind of heroes. Cowabunga dude!

1 comment:

Jen Panunzio said...

I told Matt we have to go see this movie too!! He LOVED TMNT! He was one of them for Halloween and wanted to be one when he grew up...that or a Ghostbuster!