Monday, April 18, 2011

I'm not busy

Not much frustrates or angers me, but I do feel quite a bit of tension when someone starts a conversation with, "I know you're busy...."
I'M NOT BUSY FOLKS.
For the love of God, I'm off work by 2pm each day and have only myself to take care of. I do 2 or 3 loads of laundry a month and usually have a yogurt for dinner. Come on...I'm currently living in an 800 square foot apartment--all of which can be vacuumed from the same electrical outlet! I'm not busy!
After finishing up 8 hours at a job I LOVE, I come home, take a nap, go for a walk, and then maybe go to dinner or a game with friends or my family. Sure, I do have the occasional (albeit infrequent yet always entertaining) date with a man every once in a while too--but, honestly that's about it. That is certainly not busy.
Yes, I DO have an amazingly enjoyable, full, happy life and if you want me to go somewhere or want to plan something with me, I might not be immediately available...but that's NO PROBLEM! I will just need to take a look at my schedule let you know when it will work for me.
That's not busy...it's actually efficient and organized.
Truth is, I spent most of my life being truly busy--working, going to school, raising kids, doing homework, running a household, making dinner, lunches, etc, etc--I honestly never really had a spare second. All of that, yes, kept me BUSY.
These days...yeah, not so much. I have MORE than enough hours in the day to do all the things I want and need and love to do.
Now, if by busy you mean that I am disciplined and productive and organized and scheduled, that I get everything done with intentionality, then OK, I'll give you that. But I think being "busy" is a negative way to describe that. 'Busy', to me, sounds frantic and frazzled and chaotic. There is no way I am any of those things. I always think 'busyness' is used as an excuse for not being organized or not getting something done.
We all have the exact same amount of hours in a day...plenty to accommodate anyone, and accomplish anything...if you truly want to.
I may be active, but I am definitely not busy. Gratefully, I do have a full and intentionally well planned out schedule for each day and week, and I that is why I have a calendar on me at all times. If you would like to spend time with me, tell me when it's good for you! I will see if that date and time is open for me, and if it is not, I am sure I will be able to consult my schedule and find another day that will work for both of us.
I know I can work you in and that I will enjoy each minute of our time together!
Cause I'm not busy.

1 comment:

PETE Di LALLO said...

I admire how you can think of and post a very fun-to-read blog from the word busy...
when you're not busy you must be busy thinking up subjects to post...