Saturday, October 15, 2011

"You can do it!"

I was telling a fellow horse owner at work this week that I would be going over to Santa Anita today to watch "Sweet JuJu" run the track--and to put her (beautiful, personalized) new halter on her.
His only response to me was, "The trainer won't let you put the halter on her...no way, they won't let you do that...the HORSE won't even let you do that!"
Guess what? Yep. (She loves me...)









Thinking about his comments on the way home this afternoon (after JOYFULLY watching her run and DELIGHTFULLY being able to put the halter on her), I was reminded of the OH so many times in my life where I had shared a hope, a dream a desire--an excitement!--with someone--and, similarly, was so blatantly shot down.

I remember--vividly--MANY times over the SEVENTEEN YEARS that I went to college when people LAUGHED at me and told me that I was RIDICULOUS for taking two classes a semester in an attempt to receive my Bachelor's Degree. Here I was working as a waitress, taking care of a home and a family, and doing my BEST to chip away at a college degree, and MOST of the time, I heard things like, "You're never going to graduate," or, "Sheesh, it's going to take you the next 15 years to finish," or (my favorite) "You're going to be 40 years old before you have your degree!"
To which I used to answer, "How old will I be in 15 years if I don't go back to college?"
Guess what? Yep.
And I was only 37 on graduation day.
STILL one of the best days of my life.

When I started a new life in 2005, there were those who quite literally told me that I would never make it...that I would never be able to get a job that would provide me with enough money to live on my own. I was told that I could definitely give up my dreams of traveling to Europe. I had people say, (and I quote) "You don't know how to balance a checkbook, do your taxes or register your car (yes, really)..."
Guess what? Yep.
Not only have I learned to balance a checkbook (easy) and hired a great friend who's an accountant to do my taxes (why not?), I have actually bought, sold--and amazingly registered--four cars in the last several years!
Oh, and I've been to Europe three times.


Most recently, I was forced to short sell my home. I was constantly amazed at the number of people who were so discouraging about the situation saying things like, "That is totally going to mess up your credit for the rest of your life" and "You will never be able to buy another home."
Guess what? Yep.
I found and purchased an incredibly beautiful new home just six months later. Oh, and Home Depot gave me $5,000 credit--with no interest for 12 months--instantly.


Here's the deal...for every person who tried to DISCOURAGE me, I have had the great JOY of having two or three or four people who were right there saying, "YOU CAN DO IT Julie Hibbard!"
For every person who told me I would crash, there were twice as many who couldn't wait to see me soar!
For every single word of criticism, bitterness, resentment and malice I have encountered, there have been DOZENS of words of confidence, helpfulness, inspiration, reassurance, hope, reinforcement, assistance, love...and pride.

Don't let anyone ever talk you out of a dream! Ever!
You really CAN do it!
Honestly, I am who I am and where I am today because I constantly choose to disregard negativity and because I have SO MANY amazingly encouraging people in my life!
I am SO very grateful for that!

If I may be so bold as to say, if you want to brighten your world, if you want to be happier in your life, if you want to double and triple the amount of joy and love in your world:
Be happy for others.
Let only kind words come out of your mouth.
Be there for people.
Offer support.
And, most of all, be encouraging.

Try it!
Hey, I know you can do it!!

3 comments:

wevi said...

"Sweet JuJu," what a very fitting name for a real winner! Julie you are an inspiration and a rally cry for persistance. "I will not live a life full of Regrets." I will run my race and I will win. I am going to use you for all of my inspirational thoughts. Thank you for teaching me so much.

Vicki said...

I love this post and I love your blog. We dont know each other but have a bit in common (love of music and baseball, So Cal natives)...your blog makes me smile every day. Now I think I'll go register for a class next semester and finally get my degree (yep, I'll be well into my 50s by the time I finish but it'll be worth it =)

Anonymous said...

Good One!!!!!!!