Monday, October 24, 2011

Hold your horses! Yep, PLURAL!

Most of you will be very happy to know that I have finally found a hobby.
Except for the one time I did a needlepoint project in 1978 (your birthday gift, Sonja) I have never really had a hobby of any sort at all. I do love to write and to study and to learn and I love to blog and, of course, I always have a camera in my hand. So now, with the horses and horse racing, I have something to study and SO much to learn about--and that gives me something to blog about and so much to write about! And, of course, I LOVE taking pictures of the horses.
I think they like it too.
Once again, only a portion of this FABULOUS (gigantic!) horse belongs to me, but I always say, "Tap tap, I get the front part!" How gorgeous is she?! Her name is Golden Mary and, as with most horses, she loves me! In the photo above, I was telling her to look at the camera--and she did! I am preparing her to be in the winner's circle someday!
(Can you believe how big and beautiful she is?!)
Golden Mary will be joining Sweet JuJu (above and below) at Santa Anita this week, where they will continue their workouts and get ready to race! I'll let you know when you can grab your (big, beautiful) hat and come join us!I think I'm enjoying every aspect of the horses and horse racing because it reminds me so much of baseball! I love to go to Spring Training and see the new players as they train and workout and constantly practice in attempts to be in the big leagues someday. There's the statistics to learn and keep track of, and so much of it is timing, anticipation, and fear of injury and errors. And there's always SO MUCH hope and celebration of success! It's OH SO similar with the horses--watching them grow and train and practice and workout. The statistics and timing are a big part of it--and there's the lineage factor as well. (Look it up!) I SO love that I can go see them and TOUCH them and talk to them and get to know them! And then, of course, there's the JOY of being able to BE THERE when they are racing! And the HOPE and anticipation of success!
It's all SO very exciting...
Not to be outdone by Golden Mary, Sweet JuJu looked right into the camera when I told her to as well. She's ready for the winner's circle too! (How pretty is she?!)

It's been SO much fun to go out to the stables and out to the racetracks--I even have a 'virtual stable' to keep track of their workouts. Last week, at Santa Anita, the trainer told us that Sweet JuJu had a nice ass and great mind. Hello? Sound familiar? And have you been to a race track lately? Race trackers are a wonderful mix of colorful and devoted people! It's not just a hobby--it's a sport--it's entertainment--and it has already brought me so much enjoyment.

Owning (the front portions) of the horses is actually a highly gratifying investment as well. It is definitely already paying off in far more pleasurable and satisfying ways than the stock market ever did for me. It's SO much more fun to keep track of! And take pictures of! And celebrate with!
And, hey, it totally beats the hell out of needlepoint.
















Sweet JuJu at Santa Anita
Saturday, October 22, 2011

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Secretariat..Can't wait to see your flower wreath.

md said...

You are going to look amazing in the winner's circle with that blue hat. That Golden Mary looks big enough for Shaquille O'neal to be the jockey. 138

Amy Amersons said...

my hat(s) are ready!

any chance they'll be racing @ del mar next season?

robin_brown_62 said...

Wow.....Golden Mary is huge and beautiful! I have loved horses since I was little. A friend of mine, Susan, had a horse and she "let me" cleaned the stalls. Once I cleaned the stalls I got to ride her horse in a circle. I think she got the better of that deal. I would love to meet your horses. Maybe when I come out in Jan you can take me for a visit....but I will not be cleaning any stalls this time.....lol We can take lots of pictures! Love you cousin.....and good luck at the reaces!

PETE Di LALLO said...

I'm anxious to go to the track and see your horses with you...hopefully one or both will run that day and I'll be sure to bring enough cash to bet on each race...Oh wait...do they sell hot dogs there? if so, make that $2 for each race...

Sonja said...

Darn, I was waiting for another needlepoint work from you, Julie.

Anonymous said...

You know, it's the front end of the horse that wins the races...