Monday, October 31, 2011

Amazing to hear me say this...I LOVE the fillies!

Sweet JuJu

Golden Mary

I can't begin to tell you what JOY these horses bring to my heart! It has been SO fun to be able to go visit with them and watch them run and see them grow! Sweet JuJu had her first official workout and received rave reviews...I'm so proud of her and couldn't wait to let her know!
Sweet JuJu and Golden Mary (whom the groomers all call "Maria") are the only fillies--the only GIRLS--in a barn full of colts--boys!
I am doing my best to find out all I can about horses, training, racing...there's SO MUCH to learn! Just the terminology is tough to keep track of...

Here's what I learned today...

A horse--boy or girl--before it is taken from its mother is a foal.
A filly is a girl under 4 years of age. A colt is a boy under 4 years of age.
When the foal has been taken from its mother it is a weanling.
Once it reaches 1 year of age it is a yearling.
Once it reaches 2 years and until it turns 4 is is referred to as a filly or a colt.
Once it is 4 years old, for the rest of its life it is referred to as a mare if it is a girl or a stallion if it is a male and not fixed or a gelding if it is a male and is fixed. You can refer to young boys under the age of 4 if they are fixed as geldings.

Got that?! Yeah...like I said, I'm doing my best to learn it all.
And I'm loving every single minute of it.

2 comments:

md said...

You look so completely happy in these pictures. I am glad you found your calling. You are the new horse wisperer. These ladies seem to be completely serene in your presence. 138

Anonymous said...

I must say, Miss Julie, you look happier than I have ever seen you looking before.
Is there more to that smile than just horses?