Monday, January 11, 2010

As good as it gets

Do you think humans, by nature, always want 'just a little bit more'? Does every single person have one more thing in their mind that would definitely make them happy and make their life complete?
Or is it just me?
I am writing this from my bed this morning. I have yet to conquer this cold and have not been out of the house--or out of my pajamas for that matter--for the last day and half.
I am literally snuggled between my down filled feather bed and down filled comforter--my great grandmother's handmade quilt on top of all of that. And speaking of being comforted--I am in the company of my two best friends--Mac and Black(berry)--who keep me connected to the outside world regardless of my location and attire. I am so warm...and, yes, so comfortable.
I am drinking my third glass of Orange Juice and just realized that Leave it to Beaver is about to start on TV Land (I love the Beave...) Oh, my new best friend, Mr. Remote--I have nicknamed him 'Jack'--sits here with me with Mac and Black. (Oh June, how lovely you are vacuuming in heels and pearls.)
And I think...this is a pretty good place to be. I am grateful beyond belief for where I am today. Yes, even TODAY. The warmth of this bed, this house, this life.
It will be five years tomorrow that I left my other life. And started this one. I don't think it's an accident that I have been sequestered to be still to relax and reflect these last few days.
So, that one thing I (think I) am still missing? Yeah...the love of a man. That's it. And, to be perfectly honest, if you had told me five years ago that I would be alone five years later--well, I would not have believed you for one thing. I would have thought it depressing for another.
But it's been OK. In fact, it's been quite nice. I don't mind being alone and I really have learned to love the silence and peacefulness of being on my own. The freedom to do what I want whenever I want is something I don't take for granted. I didn't have that the first 41 years of my life. Honestly, if this is as good as it gets, it's damn good. Life is, indeed, very good. From the warmth of this bed, this life...I really could not ask for anything more...
And yet, I admit, five years later, there is... just one more thing...I'd like to have...
I would gladly kick out Mac, Black and Jack for that one thing I lack. A guy in the sack? A man to share my shack? Someone to scratch my back? (I'm high on cold medicine--cut me some slack...)
Yeah, I'm thinking it could be just a little better than this...
And yet, I am oh so happy and grateful for where I am today.
Yep, from the warmth of this bed, Ward and June in the distance, Mac keeping me warm and Black buzzing away...life is really good, today.

3 comments:

PETE Di LALLO said...

I love the rhyming you've snuck in this fun-ish blog...
reminds me that years ago I played golf regularly with 'Mack, Jack and Tak!'
The fourth golfer was Ed Garza who wished his name rhymed...

John MACK Brown, a landscape contractor
JACK Becknell, a landscape arch.
and, TAKeo (Forgot his last name, was a landscape contractor...

I feel so good remembering all this stuff...

Fashion Schlub said...

i hear ya, sister. i do well on my own, am happy being alone (oh no, have i caught rhymitis from you?), but sometimes...just sometimes...think a partner would be a fine thing to have also...

maybe this year.

Zuzana said...

Happy anniversary on your new life.;)
I love your undying optimism. Life will always smile on you Julie, because you are smiling at it all the time.;)
Loved this post...
Also like your new profile picture, it fits your personality so well.:)

Get well soon, but meanwhile enjoy your warm bed.;)
xoxo
Zuzana